Shohei Ohtani

DannyW

@northgeorgiasportsman touched on this in another thread, but I think the implications of this situation might deserve a thread of it's own ("Baseball might be about to face a firestorm if Ohtani is implicated in this gambling fiasco.")

Here is the short version.

Earlier this week, information was discovered that indicated that at least $4.5 million had been wire transferred from Ohtani's banking account to an illegal bookmaker in California.

When questioned by ESPN, a spokesman for the Ohtani camp confirmed the wire transfers, and quoted Ohtani as saying he was aware of the transaction. They claimed the reason was that Ohtani's interpreter had gambled and lost the $4.5 million, and Ohtani had agreed to cover the losses.

Less than 24 hours later, a spokesman for Ohtani completed walked back the original explanation, instead claiming Ohtani was the victim of a "massive fraud".

The obvious questions:

1. Why did the story change?

2. How did an $85,000 a year employee, an interpreter, have access to a mega-millionaire's banking account(s)?

3. Were any of the admitted bets, placed on baseball?

4. Were the bets placed by, or under the direction, of Ohtani?

5. And to a lesser extent, IF Ohtani did place the bets, BUT NOT ON BASEBALL, what will MLB do since they were placed in California with an illegal bookmaker? (I suspect a slap on the hand followed by a pat on the back.)

Whoever placed the bets had the unfortunate bad luck to place them with a bookmaker who was already being followed by the FBI. So now a Federal investigation has been opened effectively shutting MLB out of the matter. And you know how long the Federal government takes to do anything.

So, now there will be a black cloud over all MLB this season, and ground zero will be Dodger Stadium. If there is one thing MLB upholds 100% without regard to the player(s) status, it's their gambling rules (see: Joe Jackson and Pete Rose).

I want to believe Ohtani is innocent, but I need some really good answers to the questions above.

turkeykirk

Wonder if they will go “Pete Rose” on him :biggrin2:

DannyW

Wonder if they will go “Pete Rose” on him :biggrin2:
If it is proven, beyond a reasonable doubt, that Ohtani did in fact bet on MLB, I am guessing YES. They will have little choice.

Due to Ohtani's standing in baseball and coming on the heels of his historical $700 million contract, this could become possibly the biggest scandal ever in professional sports.

Whitefeather

Management Material
5. And to a lesser extent, IF Ohtani did place the bets, BUT NOT ON BASEBALL, what will MLB do since they were placed in California with an illegal bookmaker? (I suspect a slap on the hand followed by a pat on the back.)

I call horse hockey if he says he didn’t bet on baseball. The reason is this, baseball is what he knows best. By saying he didn’t bet on the sport he knows best makes no sense

It would be like me gambling on Cricket instead of baseball because I know nothing about Cricket.
If it’s true…. Put him on a plane and send him back to Japan.

turkeykirk

If I was making $700 million I would hire someone to keep me out of trouble.

HermanMerman

When you make that kind of money, all of your dirty laundry will get exposed. The dude got married and the media was all up in arms…”why didn’t we know about him getting married? What else is he hiding”??? Now they start digging through his trash to find out any and everything about him. Was only a matter of time.

biggdogg

Just my thoughts.
1) Rose also maintained that he never bet on baseball. Right up until Selig offered the bogus bargain.
2) I know it was already mentioned. But since when would an interpreter, who is essentially an employee of the Dodgers and not Ohtani, have access to Ohtani's finances? Long time friend or not, why or how would he have that access?
3) Manfred will do everything in his power to bury this. He doesn't have the spine or the marbles to banish the face of MLB. Not to mention an international icon.
4) I find it telling that every single player on the Angels that has discussed this has stated that he has never shown any interest in any sport beyond baseball.

Last edited:

LonePine

3) Manfred will do everything in his power to bury this. He doesn't have the spine or the marbles to banish the face of MLB. Not to mention an international icon.
This is absolutely correct. The number of potential new international eyes, money, and growth to a sport losing fans in the US will make this be swept under the rug. No way Manfred has the stones to take this on.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
This is absolutely correct. The number of potential new international eyes, money, and growth to a sport losing fans in the US will make this be swept under the rug. No way Manfred has the stones to take this on.

Another reason among many others professional sports no longer interest me.

Duff

This^^^^^

Any other player would be toast