Shoot a hog from your plot and they wont come back for a while. True or False?

White0ak

Banned
Ol timer told me hogs, bein as smart as they are, will associate danger to a specific area.

So in other words, shoot a hog from your plot and they wont come back for a while. True or False?

six

False. I've seen them first hand come back the next day. Hogs that I know a couple were the same hogs. I've also seen hogs come back the same day, but not sure if they were some of the same hogs, or a different group all together. I have noticed some will avoid a trap if they were present when others were trapped. But they didn't avoid the area, just wouldn't go in the trap.

LittleDrummerBoy

Kinda like criminals, only the one you shoot is guaranteed not to come back. But they get more cautious - nocturnal and such.

sghoghunter

That can be true and false. If you stay on killing the hogs like me and my brother does on our club it's true. We run three feeders yr round with Covert cameras and when they start coming regular we will slip over there and put some what's happening on their heads with two AR's topped with Pulsar thermals. I'd also say false too cause if you only shoot them occasionally when your deer hunting they don't associate shooting with danger

Juan De

I have a boar buster trap. I have caught pigs in the same spot more than once. Although I tend to catch the hole group and leave no witnesses.

sleepr71

If the whole Sounder is present when you start shooting… It might run them off for a while. What I have found is that once they discover a food source… Whether it be a hayfield with nut grass in it, a pecan orchard with pecans in it, a corn feeder spraying corn out all over the ground, acorns, whatever… Once they find that food source… They will be back. May be tomorrow ..may be 6 months from now..

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
my son in law shot one in a privet thicket. We had to get on our hands and knees to drag it out. Before we got it out, there were more back in the clearing where he shot that one.

It took us over an hour to drag it out. It was so thick and overgrown, we tied a pull around its snout, and would pull it a foot or so, back up and pull again. It weighed a bit over 250, and was all these 2 men wanted to handle that day

Tadder

I'd say in most places this would be false , but where we're at its true, last season we had hog hitting the food plot daily and my daughter shot one with her bow and the others left out like she had shot a gun. The one she shot left with us and of course never returned but the others left and we didn't see a hog hide nor hair tile 3 wks ago and we've had corn out all season. So, that would've been true for us. Gone try to get one of these with a bow this wk. scene the deer are not moving good here.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I know in Silas AL they will come back..........even after the dogs have run them off. But only From about 9pm to 7 AM............... when the sun is shining, they are invisible!

Twiggbuster

My experience with hogs that have recently invaded our properties.
Thick as flies in bow opener thru MZ week.
Get thinner the more we come in and hunt and especially if we fire a shot.

1st weeks for modern firearms and they are gone, hiding.
Near Thanksgiving they show back up with a vengeance looking for food where they had before. Hang around thru the winter.

Just my 2 cents-

madsam

No sir, that sounder you killed out of may come later or wait a day but
they will be back shortly. My experience .