Hog Trap Door Suggestions

dtb44

I have lots of hogs on various pieces of property in middle Ga like we all have. I've trapped hogs my whole life growing up and had good success. I don't mess with trapping them much now for lots of reasons mainly time and travel distance. This year I want to teach my kids the trapping skills I learned and a child. Trapping raccoons for certain will be fun. Hogs will be as well but I want to be as successful as possible.

I am building a portable style trap which will allow me to move it from property to property with ease. I want to catch as many as I can in the trap at once like we all do. I have always used the drop gate technique in which the gate hold/latch string is buried in the ground with some corn over the top to hopefully allow as many as possible to get in the trap before it triggers. Sometimes I would catch 3 or 5 or 10. Now that game cameras have come out I can see how many are in each sounder and I want to catch them all or close to it. Then move on.

I am about to build my trap and my question is this:

What is the best gate or system you have used to allow them to come and go for a period of time and then when you are ready to catch them you close it down so they can only come in but not leave? Obviously to start out you leave the gates open and gradually get them accustomed to the coming and going for an easy meal.

Single swing type gate on two different sides? They get accustomed to pushing it open.

Two small double swing doors shaped in a V kinda like a funnel?

Just go with the drop down technique and hope for the best?

What else have you had success which will allow you to keep on catching them while others are still in the pen?

If there is some cheap cell phone trigger system I am unaware of enlighten me please? I have plenty of cell cameras and could go that route if it doesn't break the bank.

What other tips could you offer? Also, I appreciate the fact that catch dogs are a great technique but I don't need your help to catch them so please don't PM me. I also understand shooting them is a great option and I never pass up the chance but I don't need help with that either.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Dave

Todd E

A) Buy a Pig Brig trapping system and don't look back.

B) Build a figure 6 trap and don't set push section until they are used to going in and out and staying.

dtb44

What I have and plan on using will go up in about five minutes with two guys and I won’t have to deal with any t post so it’ll be very portable but I will need a trailer. It will be very large with 6 or 8 ten foot panels. Trailer access isn’t an issue because I will have to have access to haul them out.

I’m mainly curious about the gate but maybe nobody has tried a swing type gate before. Or just never had success.

The material I’m using is free and will withstand their escape attempts so I’ll save my $2,000 on the net but I bet it does work. Thanks for the replies.

Davexx1

From what you have described as a preferable approach, it sounds like a cellular wireless controlled gate or door would meet your needs. A cellular controlled and triggered gate along with a cellular trail camera will give you the ability to watch the trap and animals and trigger the gate to close whenever you think is the right time. The cellular controlled system can be home made for $100 +- or purchased as a complete unit then modified to work on your trap.

A trap with a manual trip string or whatever can be triggered by the first hog that goes inside so you can lose the ability to make multiple catches plus scaring the crap out of any/all hogs standing nearby outside of the trap. Those will likely not come back to that trap.

The downside to the cellular system is staying up all night watching the trail camera waiting for the hogs to get there. The cell control unit requires batteries. The Pig Brig has gained alot of popularity and requires no electronics, no batteries, no lost sleep at night, is portable, etc.

Todd E

Based on your initial post and subsequent response......

You will catch a few here and there.
You will have difficulty with more entering.
You will need to keep moving trap.
You will educate the others.
Your kids will have fun on the ones you do get.

You say you don't trap now due to time and distance. I'm confused by that. A trap needs monitored daily and one must be prepared to go remove hogs daily. Are you gonna let em stay in it all week until the weekend?

dtb44

I plan to setup a tripod or a bucket feeder above to keep them consistent. They’ll find a feeder and be close by. Set the out swing door (set the trap) on Thursday or Friday upon arrival and kill them the day I leave. Then move it on to wherever my next problem herd lives. At any given time I have 5 or so groups of 20. All farmland and I have the hardwoods Gum Swamp Creek they hide out in. We will always have hog problems. But if I can slow them down, give some people some meat that’s not all shot up to help their family and have fun that’s what I’m in it for.

And I like welding projects as any redneck should.

Thanks for your comments.

sleepr71

Sounds like a cellular triggered Jager Pro(or similar) will be best for you. I say that because you are using panels.

2dye4

I use a Guillotine type door attached to a cable with a trigger mechanism in the rear of the pen. Only draw back to this is the hogs that are on the outside of the trap when trigger is tripped you will not catch them because they become trap shy.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I wish I had some advice for you and I’ve heard of the swing door working before, but have no personal experience. A big spring should keep it closed and if it’s light it should give it little resistance……..making the hogs not to freaked out about it, maybe. Good luck! Hope y’all have fun! Any trap door will catch a few, and do what you want…..have fun with it!

Davexx1

The fact that time and distance is a factor limiting your time at the trap site, it seems that a cellular triggered "coral style" trap with an auto feeder in it being monitored with a cell camera would be a good/best option. The feeder would run daily, attracting hogs to and hopefully into the trap enclosure at the feeder run times and the night before your arrival, you could trigger the gate to close on any/all hogs that you see inside the trap.

Frankly, it is not the best idea to trap when you cannot be there every day to check the trap and be able to take care of any trapped animals or address any situation that arises. Things happen sometimes and animals can get caught. Should something like that occur and you can't go there for days would likely mean a slow miserable death for an animal in this heat with no water.

bnew17

I have used a piece of hog panel, well several pieces put out in a circular shape with the "gate" curving in so the pigs have to push their way in but can not get out. It worked great until I caught about a 300lb boar hog and when he wanted to get out, he got out. no problems with smaller pigs though. It is tough to explain but there are pictures of this set up all over the internet and youtube.