wild hog numbers

Liberty

SHHHHH.. and knock on wood.
You know what, I didn’t think that statement thru. The corrected version is: I unfortunately am uncomfortable processing swine and there is no local processor for them.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I wish we had a few around here . They good eating and I like to check my scope every few hunts.

Doboy Dawg

I used to have a local fellow who would not eat a boar. I said bring them to me I’ll eat them. He would say I don’t know how you eat them stinking things. He would bring me 2-3 every hunting season.

He asked me what I did with them, I told him I made sausage and when we had more than we needed I give it to my extended family. He finally asked me to give him a pack of my sausage, so I did. He quit giving me hogs after I told him my recipe. He said, Man that’s the best sausage I’ve ever had.

When my kids come home to visit they always ask for some of my sausage for breakfast. I ain’t giving my recipe out no more :ROFLMAO:

Toliver

I shot a wild barrow down in Florida one evening. We cut him up and put the meat in a cooler and put ice on the meat. Each day we'd pour the water off and add more ice. Did this for about 4 or 5 days. That was by far the best pork I ever had. I don't want them things on my property but I'd love to help someone out by killing them and putting a couple in the freezer each year.

earlthegoat2

I have not seen one or caught one on my cameras on my property in WashCo.

The other day I was driving around the neighborhood while eating lunch and there were about 2 acres of hog rooting sign by a pond.

That wasn’t but 3-400 yds from my property line and about 5-600 from my primary hunting/photographing/feeder spots.

I don’t have any real water on my place and only a few ponds near it off to the west so maybe they stay away because of that.

Big7

The Oracle
O1Everyone I know that can is fill'n freezers and or stack'n them like cord wood in a dump pile and can't put a dent in the population.
I'm just glad we ain't got them bad here...

YET....

But I know it's coming. facepalm:

Anybody need some kilt', hit me up. I'll shoot all pigs and/or coyotes you want and never ask to hunt nothing else but wouldn't mind if you offer.

I won't leave nothing but a foot print and be very grateful.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Between the panthers, gators, and crocodiles, they`ve put a hurting on the hog populations down in South Florida below Tampa.

Toliver

Between the panthers, gators, and crocodiles, they`ve put a hurting on the hog populations down in South Florida below Tampa.
Don't forget the pythons. They're helping, too. I think we just found our solution. Trap them and ship them to the everglades to feed the predators.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Don't forget the pythons. They're helping, too. I think we just found our solution. Trap them and ship them to the everglades to feed the predators.

In the last 4 years or so a good friend of mine has trapped between 400 and 500 hogs on one of his farms. And hasn`t hurt the population much at all. Trapping is much more effective than hunting or dogging them though.

Big7

The Oracle
In the last 4 years or so a good friend of mine has trapped between 400 and 500 hogs on one of his farms. And hasn`t hurt the population much at all. Trapping is much more effective than hunting or dogging them though.
How long you recon before the constrictors make it to SWG and the Okefenokee??

That's going to be bad. Really, really bad?

Have you even seen any invasive (Amazon) snakes in SWG so far?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
How long you recon before the constrictors make it to SWG and the Okefenokee??

That's going to be bad. Really, really bad?

Have you even seen any invasive (Amazon) snakes in SWG so far?

I have not, and don`t think we will either. Even though we don`t get real cold, it gets cold enough that pythons can`t live here. Over time they might build up a resistance to cold but I won`t be here to see it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I used to have a local fellow who would not eat a boar. I said bring them to me I’ll eat them. He would say I don’t know how you eat them stinking things. He would bring me 2-3 every hunting season.

He asked me what I did with them, I told him I made sausage and when we had more than we needed I give it to my extended family. He finally asked me to give him a pack of my sausage, so I did. He quit giving me hogs after I told him my recipe. He said, Man that’s the best sausage I’ve ever had.

When my kids come home to visit they always ask for some of my sausage for breakfast. I ain’t giving my recipe out no more :ROFLMAO:
So, what's your recipe? I like sausage. :huh:

ucfireman

I know a lot of y'all have a bunch.
I am in the "metro Atl" area.
I am glad they are not around here like south Ga.
That said, when I do drive around the south, I don't see them dead on the roads, or in the fields like I do deer. Maybe I need night vision.
Just seems to me that they would invade the burbs like farm country. Plenty of home gardens and good flowers, just ask the deer.

Again I don't want them on my place or have to avoid them on the roads, just thinking.

I would be open to an invite to hunt some though.
I tried Ocmulgee a few times and saw plenty of sign, just no pigs.
I did see deer though. And that's what I mean. If the pig population is so high or a problem seems you would see them as often as deer. Or are they really that better at being avoided?

cracker4112

I wish this were true. The 2 places I frequent in Manatee and Glades Counties and some friends places in Sarasota County have more hogs than ever before. We kill several hundred a year between the 2 places hunting, trapping and dogging but they keep on coming. It doesn’t help that the state (mostly the WMDs) has so many pieces of public land that the public is locked out of. Pig sanctuaries for all intents and purposes.

That’s said, far south including Hendry and Collier, the panthers have put a dent in the pigs and everything else.