Wild Hogs on Hunting Property

HIGH COUNTRY

I am thinking about building a low fence to keep hogs away from deer gravity feeders?

Also for building a traP? I hate these things on our family hunting property, only showed up about four years ago.

Question?

What is the most economical fence to buy to build either a circle c trap or a corral with a trap door.

The five foot panels for livestock are like over 70 or more per panel...

Would the ones described below work, they are four gauge - heavy enough? Only $28 a panel...

Texas state agency said go with five foot tall, these are four foot and two inches at fifty inches - Is that enough, we can get there the same day they get in the trap using a cell camera?

Protect and contain your livestock with OKBRAND Max 50 Feedlot 10-Line Cattle Fence Panel. The feedlot panel is perfect for keeping cattle, pigs, goats, and other livestock or animals fenced in. The feedlot panel fence is lightweight and flexible, so it is easy to maneuver. with one pc. welded steel construction, this panel is extremely sturdy and sag resistant, making it the perfect low-maintenance, high-quality feedlot panel.

• Feedlot panel won't break down or collapse when cattle, pigs, sheep or other large livestock run into or rub against it
  • Constructed of 4 gauge wire Galvanized before welded
  • Graduated 8 in. vertical x 4 in. horizontal to 8 in. vertical x 6 in. horizontal mesh
  • Welded one pc. steel construction helps the feedlot panel fence last for years
  • Virtually maintenance free
  • Snag resistant
  • Easy to erect with no stretching
  • Not all panels available in all stores

2dye4

Whatever you build, be sure it’s topless so deer can jump out of it if caught. I caught a large buck the other night and thankfully I released him and got him on camera a few days later.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Go and kill as many as you can, day and night. Or, maybe allow someone you know that you can trust to come trap and kill them for you. I’ve hunted around those pesky jokers my entire life, and no matter what we’ve done, we had a difficult time controlling them. We’re overrun with them dang things here in southeastern Georgia. I hate a hog with a passion. They’re nothing but trouble and will destroy your land. Kill the heck out of as many as you can. Even the little ones you can put in a crockpot! :bounce:

MYRX

FYI: Regarding hog control, last year we built a hog trap using the heavy gauge fence panels. We put the panels on the bottom and the top as well. Like an enclosed box. If I recall, it is 12' long x 4' wide. It works fine as long as the door operates as designed. Our first night of use we caught 21, (sows with piglets).

We cover the floor with dirt so they don't get wise. Then bait with corn. So far, no deer have even thought about entering the trap. Make sure you have cameras positioned that send pictures directly to you.

Recently we used the same panels, but we cut them to 38" height and built a barrier around a gravity feeder that was regularly being hit by hogs. The barrier/fence is keeping the hogs out, but so far the camera shows deer are refusing to jump the fence. Not sure why unless the fenced area needs to be larger. We will make some modifications and I will let you know what the outcome is.

We tried hunting the hogs. Not much success unless you want to sit all night. They get smart after a few are shot. We also didn't wish to disturb the deer population all year. Considering the back of our property is bordered by the Broad River, we have a real hog problem as they use the river for a runway throughout our area of Oglethorpe county. Hope this helps some.

BamaGeorgialine

Go and kill as many as you can, day and night. Or, maybe allow someone you know that you can trust to come trap and kill them for you. I’ve hunted around those pesky jokers my entire life, and no matter what we’ve done, we had a difficult time controlling them. We’re overrun with them dang things here in southeastern Georgia. I hate a hog with a passion. They’re nothing but trouble and will destroy your land. Kill the heck out of as many as you can. Even the little ones you can put in a crockpot! :bounce:
Me and a buddy went last weekend. He killed one around 210 and I killed one around 10lbs. Mine was way, way easier to carry out and was might fine on the smoker. I am shooting the smallest ones I see from here on out

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Me and a buddy went last weekend. He killed one around 210 and I killed one around 10lbs. Mine was way, way easier to carry out and was might fine on the smoker. I am shooting the smallest ones I see from here on out
It is situational, but yes, I’m all in for shooting a small one too! :rockon: You can keep them out of the feeder area with panels……it’s keeping them in where they’ll fail.

Silver Britches

Did you eat it all by yourself? Bet them ribs were mighty fine! :bounce:

sghoghunter

Almost. My Dad ate some. I may be exaggerating when I say he weighed 10lbs. Hogs are fun to hunt because no one ever says, should have let that one walk, should have given him another year, let's argue over how old he is, or he doesn't score very much

Actually at our lease I will let a boar walk aslong as he isn’t tearing up a feeder or smart enough to stand up on a gravity feeder and eat. A sow and pigs is a different story also here around the house I’ll shoot whichever I can get on first

Silver Britches

Almost. My Dad ate some. I may be exaggerating when I say he weighed 10lbs. Hogs are fun to hunt because no one ever says, should have let that one walk, should have given him another year, let's argue over how old he is, or he doesn't score very much
I’ve honestly never killed a real small pig. Just didn’t have the heart to do so. :bounce: Tore up many other sizes, though. Can’t stand them jokers.

Gaswamp

quit feeding for a year. Buddy started feeding and hogs galore started staying on his property. He quit and now only sees them occassionaally and usually just a boar hog passing thru

Madsnooker

Hog panel amd T posts from tractor supply. The bottom squares are much smaller then the top so it keeps the piglets out. We never had hogs until we started feeding them then had way to many. Put the hog panels up and problem ended. It works so well we may go 6 months without a pic of a hog. And as others said, when we get a pic it's just a big boar traveling thru.
One tip. We cut the top section of the panels so it's about 6 inches shorter and allows young fawns an easy access into the pen. We have never had a hog get over it. We use 6 panels as that size seems perfect. We started with 4 panels years ago but pen was way to small. Went to 5 and settled on 6. Cheap and easy way to build a big pen to keep hogs out. At one time back when we first built the pens we also wanted to trap them. After the first year we realized there's no need to fool with all that as hogs will leave if they can't get to feed. Screenshot_20230801_133153_Tactacam REVEAL.jpgScreenshot_20230709_184715_Spartan Camera.jpg

Last edited: