wild hog numbers

ucfireman

I was thinking today.
Why are there not more wild hogs running around?
They start reproducing at at young age.
They have rather large litters.
After they are just a few months I don't hear they have many predators.

Deer numbers stay pretty high and that's with us killing half the population each year. I'm sure we don't come close to killing half the pigs every year.

I kind of look at pigs like feral cats, unless there is a big kill off or you trap and spay/neuter the population explodes in a very short time.
I don't live in hog country but it seems like they would keep moving into new areas in search of food. Like Coyotes and armadillos.

crackerdave

Hogs compete with deer for the acorn crop....and every other crop,too.

Hogs breed much faster than deer,too. They breed like rabbits!
They have no ptredators,like you said. They will soon take over if we don't kill a lot of them.

crackerdave

A lot of good meat goes to waste.

Too bad there's not a way to use it.
Bbq factories,maybe?

Toliver

Everyone I know that can is fill'n freezers and or stack'n them like cord wood in a dump pile and can't put a dent in the population.
Yep. A few years ago a guy I worked with told me he caught about 25 in a trap. Drove around asking folks if they wanted any of them. They all declined as they had more pork than they knew what to do with. He shot 2 for himself and killed the rest and dumped the bodies. And I can't figure out why more land owners don't ask people to come in and shoot them. But a lot won't give you permission if you ask.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Yep. A few years ago a guy I worked with told me he caught about 25 in a trap. Drove around asking folks if they wanted any of them. They all declined as they had more pork than they knew what to do with. He shot 2 for himself and killed the rest and dumped the bodies. And I can't figure out why more land owners don't ask people to come in and shoot them. But a lot won't give you permission if you ask.
And then there are the rare land owners who's crops and land get destroyed by pigs that'll pay folks to come kill them.

Toliver

And then there are the rare land owners who's crops and land get destroyed by pigs that'll pay folks to come kill them.
Well if you run across one of them, let me now and I'll help them out. Night vision, suppressed rifle, however they want it done.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Well if you run across one of them, let me now and I'll help them out. Night vision, suppressed rifle, however they want it done.
There's a few "Billies" that have a good deal, IF you ask nice they might let you in on it.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Seriously....something's gotta be done,or them hawgs are gonna eat US!
I agree, hear'n about them up here in N.W. Ga. for the past couple years now.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
We are overran with hogs in my neck of the woods. In fact, you can hardly ride anywhere in these woods and swamps without seeing them or their sign. My dad and I were riding our woods yesterday and saw about 12 of all sizes run across the road. I don’t hate much, but I hate a dang hog! :bounce: Nothing but destructive pests! If I had my way there wouldn’t be a single one around here. They’re way more trouble than they’re worth. I‘ve killed many, but don’t like fooling with them and haven’t killed one in years. Seems like everyone I kill, 50 more take it’s place. :mad:

I took this video last deer season. I now just try to spook them off. Did I mention I hate hogs? :bounce:

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
They’ve caught 23 on our club in the last couple weeks. 3000 acres on the Oconee river. I’ve been there 23 years and we’ve always had hogs. More now than ever. The population exploded when bating deer became legal. Now, baiting is the best way to kill them. They’re running 10 traps right now. I’ve got 2 that I’ve told them to keep baited and keep up with checking them.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
They are everywhere down here, only getting thicker.