Shortage of high school referees.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
There is a shortage of teachers, bus drivers and high school sports referees. Lack of parent support / respect is a big part this shortage. This post is not about the USC fan base but about society. This is the 4th game we attended at USC. Our experience has always been great.

Yesterday at the UGA / USC game I listened to and watched lack of support first hand. The following behaviors are part of each fan base.

Immediately behind our seats was the 3rd worst USC fan in the stadium. How do I know he was the 3rd worst fan? He waited to the 3rd play in the first offensive series by USC before he started complaining about play calling. (let Georgia have one bad game and the instant coaches will rise up among our fan base.)

We were sitting on row 7 on the USC side of the field. Late in the game “fans” started talking trash on the sidelines to the players. I can’t comprehend, no matter how much alcohol has been consumed (I can’t understand why anyone dulls their senses), that a fan would feel entitled to talk trash to a bunch of college kids who are working hard on the field of play. I’m sure such behaviors were exhibited in the memorable past by UGA fans.

Let’s go back to the shortage of teachers, bus drivers and referees. The problem is not the kids, but the citizens who make up the fanbases we see at games. It doesn’t take many bad apples to spoil the entire bunch.

treemanjohn

Banned
You have to be crazy to umpire or referee games these days. I've seen U8 parents whining and hollering like a bunch of idiots. 99.9% of athletes failing goes directly back to the parents.

In hus spare time my father refereed high school basketball games for 40 years. He was mean so he didn't have a lot of trouble, but I've heard great stories