Should I switch arrows

jtp1086

I recently purchased a hoyt powermax. It IBO's at 328fps (yes i know thats at max weight and max draw length) It's set at 65 lbs and I have a 28.5 inch draw. I currentlt have carbon express maxima 250's that I shot through an old bow that IBO at 305fps.

My question is, should I stick with the same arrows or should I get something bigger like 350's? Also should I stick with 100 grain broadheads or step up to 125 grain? I know it all boils down to kenetic energy but I'm afraid if I step up in size I will loose TOO much speed. Any advice give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ihunt

Either of those arrows will work for you but I am a fan of stiffer arrows. Your 250 will be fine with either head.

Many people want to try to shoot the lightest arrow possible for speed. Speed is overrated. In theory, you should have picked up 23 fps. If you were to just mount your old site on the bow you may be in for a surprise. I bet the pins would be about where they need to be vertically. Tweaked a little maybe but they would be close.

If it is getting about time to get new arrows why not try some of the 350's with the 125 grain head? Your bow will be quieter and that is always better than a few FPS.

Someone like Kris87 will chime in and can correct me if I am wrong but I think 20 fps only equates to 1" of difference at 40 yards. Not near enough to worry about at all.

spydermon

I would probably go up to the 350. With 100 gr points you may be a tad stiff, but slightly. Not all 350 spine arrows are the same weight. You can build basically any weight arrow you could want.
An arrow on the lighter side in the 350 would be a cx blue streak. A finished arrow at 28" with 100 gr point would weigh around 375 gr for example. That would be adequate for about anything you will encounter in ga given good broadhead choice and shot placement

If you were in the tuning process with a 350 and decide it to be a little stiff, you can always up the point weight to 125 to help weaken it some and also add a bit of weight and more f.o.c.

Hope that made sense

jtp1086

Thanks. I picked up some carbon express reds 350's. I'll start with the 100 grain and see how they do.

Samoset

How are you liking that powermax? Curious because I'm looking at ordering one in the next couple weeks!

southerndraw

I just bought a new nitrium turbo at a real good price...blowin out the old stock. It just ain't set up yet.