School me on Arrows

ecoutside

I’ve been out of the arrow game for quite a while. The last dozen arrows I bought were in 2011. Got a dozen Carbon Express Maxima Hunters 250’s. My understanding is that these are a 400 spine arrow. Cut to 26” with 100gr broadheads this has been a good setup for me. Killed a pile of deer and blows right through them. I mean it’s taken me almost 10 years to go through a dozen and I’ve still got three good ones in my quiver.
Now all my research I’m seeing is on high FOC and building a heavy arrow. I can understand all the benefits of high FOC. However, is it necessary for shooting Ga deer?
Also, what brands do you guys prefer? I’m liking the price of the Gold Tip Hunters and Black Eagle Outlaws. Anybody got any experience with these shafts?
Thanks

ddd-shooter

Not much has changed in arrow construction in 9 years. The principles are the same.
High FOC doesn’t mean much to me. A relatively heavy arrow, on the other hand, is valuable to me. You don’t need crazy heavy weight or foc for Georgia deer. Anything at least 400 grains would be good for you and still maintain crazy good speed. 450-500 grains would be perfect IMO.

You can play around all you want, but if it took you a decade to go through a dozen, I don’t think you’d enjoy it. So I’d say don’t change too much if it’s worked this long, unless you really like tweaking your setup.
I buy my wife gold tip hunters, she loves them. She’s around 450 grains at 27” and 50 pounds. Blows through deer like butter.

Tadder

Sounds Like you got a good setup. Arrows are getting a little hard too get in some places. My son , daughter and myself all shoot gold tip great arrows. We all switch too the pierce gold tips we like em. NOTHING wrong with Black Eagle know a lot of folks that really like em. Lots of good choices out there , it just what you prefer.(y)

I have switched to the high FOC arrows in the last few years and I am really glad I did. You can kill a deer with just about any setup but I have found that a high FOC 550 gr. (for me) arrow will help out on a lot less than perfect shots. An added bonus, for me, was that my groups improved a great deal shooting high FOC arrows. I am not suggesting you change anything that works for you, but if you enjoy building arrows and experimenting with setups or you just don't want to "avoid shooting forward at all cost" you may want to check it out.

Ihunt

FOC means more to a trad hunter than one shooting a compound. With that said, I shoot a higher FOC and I’m a compound guy. Why? Because while I’ve never seen any advantages I have also never seen any disadvantages and it’s easy to do.

For me, I get a Easton Hexx or a Gold Tip Ultralight, cut to length, and then install a brass insert of the desired weight. That’s usually 50/75 grains. If I decide to shoot a really heavy broadhead, I may opt for a standard insert. My TAW usually weighs in the mid 400s and my FOC in the upper teens. Tip that with a “real” ? broadhead and it’s bad medicine for any deer.

ecoutside

Thanks guy, I may play around with it some during the off-season. I can always buy just a couple of shafts to try before dropping money on a dozen.

Kris87

FOC is overrated for compound shooters IMO. I'm also partial to normal size carbon shafts(6.5mm) like your Carbon Express you're shooting or the Gold Tip Hunters as mentioned. It is much simpler finding inserts, nocks, and heads that fit properly. Nothing wrong with micro diameter stuff, but it complicates things when I don't find it to have many advantages.