Should the 3 bird Limit be reduced?

After hunting all last spring and seeing such a lack of birds in Northern GA I was wondering if the limits will be reduced to 1 bird/year.
I really think the hens were having a tough time finding gobblers to breed them due to the lack of birds in the area. I noticed several hens that did not have any peeps with them this summer.

Maybe for just a couple years to see how it affects the population?

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

Buckman18

I didn’t have this problem hunting public land in the mountains. I always have seen plenty of turkeys as long as I am willing to put my boots to work. I see nothing wrong with the limit or the length of season.

gtmcwhorter

Wish GA would have a fall season. If so I might hunt them. The season now directly correlates with my fishing time

QuackAttack101

Maybe my sample size is too small, but from what I see/hear, not many hunters kill 3 birds per year (I know some do but the overwhelming majority do not).

I agree that I don't see nearly as many birds as I used to, but I don't think hunters have anything to do with it. I can't speak for the mountains, but from the central part of the state, habitat loss is a huge problem. Clear cuts everywhere. And I also firmly believe that nest predators have taken a toll on turkey populations. I get far more summertime pictures of hens without poults than hens with poults.

I have no data to back any of this up though. Just my personal opinion.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Where I mostly turkey hunt is middle east GA near Swainsboro. Populations have not declined. Clear cutting has not affected the birds or the deer. We also have yotes, coons, armadillos, bobcats, etc and the turkeys still flourish. I also hunt the CNF and have not seen any decline only geographic movement. Sometimes miles. Also on a Merriweather/Troupe property the flock has been consistently good for over twelve years. I'm just not seeing this decline. 3 birds is very reasonable in GA if you GO WHERE THE TURKEYS ARE. just my personal observations and opinions.

chase870

Possum Sox
Maybe my sample size is too small, but from what I see/hear, not many hunters kill 3 birds per year (I know some do but the overwhelming majority do not).

I agree that I don't see nearly as many birds as I used to, but I don't think hunters have anything to do with it. I can't speak for the mountains, but from the central part of the state, habitat loss is a huge problem. Clear cuts everywhere. And I also firmly believe that nest predators have taken a toll on turkey populations. I get far more summertime pictures of hens without poults than hens with poults.

I have no data to back any of this up though. Just my personal opinion.

I kill every nest predator I can trapping or hunting when legal. Nest predators and loss of habitat are the two biggest factors I see.

WaltL1

If you take it completely on its own, the limit is determined by the population so if the population goes down to a certain point so will the limit.
Will it fix the problem by itself? Nope
Will it have some impact? It would be hard to say no it wont have some impact.
Will folks in areas where the population is still strong get their limit needlessly reduced? Yep.
I would not be opposed to a limit reduction for a specific period of time, with strict data gathering to determine the impact and if it shows that it is helping well ok.
If it shows its not really helping then put the idea of limit reductions to bed.

gobble79

Agree totally with lampern. If any, 1 bird a day would help a little. Guessing, but just like deer, the reduction of days would have more impact than reducing the limit. I like everything the way it is, but is obvious that it has been a decline and not just our state. On our properties I am seeing a rebound the last 3 years which is good. I own land in Mississippi and seeing the same thing there as here. I am hoping that if a change comes, it will be done by counties rather than statewide, just like deer. 3 springs ago was a weird gobbling year on our property in ga. Birds did very little gobbling. You would swear it was hardly any gobblers on property. I work on the property and on it 5 days a week and knew we had gobblers because I would see them and their tracks. They just gobbled very little. The past 2 springs our bird population is building some and gobbling activity has picked back up. We do trap and shoot predators every chance we get.

Gap53

After hunting all last spring and seeing such a lack of birds in Northern GA I was wondering if the limits will be reduced to 1 bird/year.
I really think the hens were having a tough time finding gobblers to breed them due to the lack of birds in the area. I noticed several hens that did not have any peeps with them this summer.

Maybe for just a couple years to see how it affects the population?

What is everyone's thoughts on this?
Saw plenty of turkeys last year and was even able to bag the limit. Already seen 20 turkeys at one time in a food plot so I say 3 a year is ok.

Fork Horn

I wouldn't mind seeing he limit reduced to two birds. Regardless, its doubtful that I ever kill three in a season again. At one time it seemed important to me to get my limit every season. The last few years it seems I get more pleasure out of knowing that there's still a bird or two out there than I get out of killing one. I still enjoy hearing them in the spring and trying to call them in, but killing them doesn't excite me like it once did.

strothershwacker

Ive seen a definate decline on 2 WMAs in my area over the last 4 years. A major decline! I've also seen a huge increase in hunters on these lands in the last 4 years. Easy math. However the private land in the area seems to have a normal thriving population. I don't think there is a "one size fits all" solution. I no longer speak of turkey. Someone mentions turkey hunting start telling them how good the crappie are biting! Tell em there's an increased number of rattlesnake bites! Tell em turkey hunters are all catching lime disease! Tell em Bigfoots been raping turkey hunters! Do whatever it takes! Please stop promoting turkey hunting!!!!

turkeykirk

Ive seen a definate decline on 2 WMAs in my area over the last 4 years. A major decline! I've also seen a huge increase in hunters on these lands in the last 4 years. Easy math. However the private land in the area seems to have a normal thriving population. I don't think there is a "one size fits all" solution. I no longer speak of turkey. Someone mentions turkey hunting start telling them how good the crappie are biting! Tell em there's an increased number of rattlesnake bites! Tell em turkey hunters are all catching lime disease! Tell em Bigfoots been raping turkey hunters! Do whatever it takes! Please stop promoting turkey hunting!!!!

“Please stop promoting turkey hunting!!!!”

Too late for that.

strothershwacker

“Please stop promoting turkey hunting!!!!”

Too late for that.
That's what I'm afraid of. Nashville turkey show had bout 60k people come thru last year. Ever talk to a true dyed in the wool pre-duck dynasty duck hunter? They cuss em ol duck guys fer all there worth! Too much publicity. Every college kid in the country flooded the duck holes. Turkey hunters used to be a rare breed. We need to go into hiding. Dormant. Oppress the spread of turkey hunting! Shhhh......

buckpasser

Why not 1 bird per day first?

We have a winner! For the newbie, it’s super cool to stack up 2 or 3 jakes or toms in a sit to post of FB. In my opinion, we are not meat hunting for turkeys. 1 per day is a blessing! Stop at one and enjoy what God has allowed you that day, then come back and double or triple your fun on later hunts. It’s a no brainer and we all know they get stupid while looking at their flopping buddy. I also wouldn’t mind outlawing Jake kills except for youth hunters, but I know that’s offensive to some.

Garnto88

Social media and forums are worst enemy. Not to mention legalizing baiting deer. May as well say turkeys too. These guys run these feeders year round knowing very well they are doing it for turkeys. The melinnial crowd wouldn’t have a clue where to start without a feeder or food plot. They sit on these things during turkey season. Someare teaching the younger generation this is how you “hunt” . Sad to me.