Slip Indicator light on 2001 4runner?

Artfuldodger

First time I've ever seen it on the 10 years I've had it. Anyway I was backing up a slippery clay hill when it came on, My tires were slipping in the wet clay. The light came on and my 4runner would not accelerate to go backwards. I tried it again and if freaked me out so I parked somewhere else.

Did a google search and it appears to be the VSC or TRAC system doing what it's suppose to do. I guess it's designed to reduce the engine power as to help you out of this slipping situation. The 2001 does not have Hill Start Assist.

One question I have though is if I had turned of the TRAC system which also turns of the VSC system, could I have bypassed that and just backed up the hill slipping and sliding the old fashion way?

Geffellz18

Good question-Give it a shot and let us know!
As long as you’re not in a dangerous situation on the hill in question!

transfixer

First time I've ever seen it on the 10 years I've had it. Anyway I was backing up a slippery clay hill when it came on, My tires were slipping in the wet clay. The light came on and my 4runner would not accelerate to go backwards. I tried it again and if freaked me out so I parked somewhere else.

Did a google search and it appears to be the VSC or TRAC system doing what it's suppose to do. I guess it's designed to reduce the engine power as to help you out of this slipping situation. The 2001 does not have Hill Start Assist.

One question I have though is if I had turned of the TRAC system which also turns of the VSC system, could I have bypassed that and just backed up the hill slipping and sliding the old fashion way?

Yes, that is the way it is supposed to work, and generally does, if we're trying to shift through the gears while its on the rack with the wheels in the air, we have to turn off the traction control or it won't go through the gears