Small Streams are fishing well

splatek

UAEC
You have to go high to get into flows that are safe and conducive to fishing, but if you get there you are likely to find some very plump NoGA mountain rainbows, browns, and if you go even higher you are likely to find them wonderful Natives!

I dropped my phone in the creek so only have two pictures: one of a nice 'bow and one of a nice bug.
Ended up getting all rainbows and natives - but I knew there were no browns in this particular watershed/area.

water temps were perfect and they were eating just about anything that hit the water. saw some decent sized stones and mayflies coming off. Got them on the dry about a 1/4 of the time; mostly on a dropped PT in traditional colors.

Those little fish sure are fun on my collapsible eagle claw thing...
Biggest fish was a 14-15 inch rainbow that was a stud among the little fellas.
Biggest native was about 6 inches.
Again, sorry for so few pics, still trying to get my phone camera worked out after taking a plunge in the creek.

IMG_0830.JPGIMG_0834.JPG

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a good day! These three days of bitter cold temps are going to set the fishing back here for a while. And even our small creeks are still really high and stained, with more rain coming this weekend. :(

splatek

UAEC
Yeah, it was 26 when I woke up.
Had to sneak out for that one day of decent weather. Doesn't look like there is an end in sight for the rain

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Supposed to be high of 34 and low tonight of 9 here. That shuts them down quick. I'm ready for some green leaves and sunshine.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Those winter cold water fish sure have some standout colors. Thanks for posting
Jeff

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Still pretty cold water here, slow fishing. The cowpasture type creeks are ok, but the ones back in the woods are still pretty slow.