Snow chains vs cables vs socks

Toliver

I want to get something to put in my truck just to be prepared in the event I actually have to drive on frozen ground. I'm looking for opinions on the differences between the linked chains, the cables and the socks. During the 2012 event that shut down Atlanta for days, I saw the value in these things. They put the cable type on our Crown Vics and I drove all over the county without a bit of trouble. I was even using my car to push other cars up hills since those things provided so much traction. I'm not for or against any of the types so long as they work. I figure some of our northern friends who may have more experience with them might chime in on this one. Or those of you who escaped that wintery wonderland to move here and still remember something about them. I hope I never ever ever ever need them but I would like to have a set on hand just in case.

Toliver

Oh. And tire size is LT275/65R20. So far I'm having difficulty finding anything in that size. So someone who knows may have to explain how to buy these things. Is it size specific or a range since they're adjustable and which part of the tire size would be most important to get the right ones? The 275, 65 or the 20?

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
On my 2014 Ford it states in the owners manual do not put chains on your tires.Something about clearances.

Tight Lines

I don't need them anymore, but when I lived in Denver I had Bridgestone Blizzak tires and if chains were required I had these plastic treads that wrapped around the tire and were great. Keep in mind it was an Audi Quattro so it already did great, with Blizzaks it would go about anywhere, and I only used the chains when required for the passes.

I bought mine at Griot's Garage I think but may have come from the dealer...

Theses guys have something similar in your size...

Good luck.

Last edited:

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Here is an article I found d on the Napa auto parts site.

SNOW CHAINS VS CABLES Snow Cables

So, they both do the same thing, but what’s the difference? Snow chains are heavier and can be trickier to install. They also require maintaining a maximum speed of 30 mph. Their main advantage is their durability, so they’re a better choice if you drive where snow chains are frequently needed.

Snow cables are lighter weight and easier to install. They’re also less likely to damage your vehicle if one of the cables breaks. They don’t have the same speed limitations, but they aren’t as durable as snow chains. If you only need them occasionally, then they’re a great choice. If you’ll be using them often, it might be a better call to go with snow chains, so you don’t have to worry about them wearing out quickly.

Tight Lines

On my 2014 Ford it states in the owners manual do not put chains on your tires.Something about clearances.
That's a good point...many 20" wheels with any kind of mud deflectors or wider tires will hit the wheel wells in turns and bumps...

Resica

Here is an article I found d on the Napa auto parts site.

SNOW CHAINS VS CABLES Snow Cables

So, they both do the same thing, but what’s the difference? Snow chains are heavier and can be trickier to install. They also require maintaining a maximum speed of 30 mph. Their main advantage is their durability, so they’re a better choice if you drive where snow chains are frequently needed.

Snow cables are lighter weight and easier to install. They’re also less likely to damage your vehicle if one of the cables breaks. They don’t have the same speed limitations, but they aren’t as durable as snow chains. If you only need them occasionally, then they’re a great choice. If you’ll be using them often, it might be a better call to go with snow chains, so you don’t have to worry about them wearing out quickly.
Look like mine.

Resica

I use these, front and back on occasion when climbing the 3 mile gravel mt. road to get to the cabin. I like them. Don't think i've ever used them around home on paved roads, just 4 wheel drive.20240119_154647.jpg20240119_154654.jpg

Toliver

I use these, front and back on occasion when climbing the 3 mile gravel mt. road to get to the cabin. I like them. Don't think i've ever used them around home on paved roads, just 4 wheel drive.View attachment 1283899View attachment 1283900
Those look similar to what we put on the Crown Vics that got us anywhere we needed to go on a sheet of ice. Obviously I'm not going to use them often so the cables are probably the better way, and cheaper way, to go.

Toliver

Thank you for thar. I'll have to check to see what the manual says about mine. It's a 2017 F-350 FX4 SRW. I would think there's plenty of clearance but I'll definitely check now before I buy.

Keep in mind nothing like this is designed to use on ice roads. The only thing that works on that is spiked tires. They do help in a lot of situations just not ice

Resica

Those look similar to what we put on the Crown Vics that got us anywhere we needed to go on a sheet of ice. Obviously I'm not going to use them often so the cables are probably the better way, and cheaper way, to go.
They are easy going on, sometimes taking them off the 2 connection joints are frozen. :(

Toliver

They are easy going on, sometimes taking them off the 2 connection joints are frozen. :(
That's fine. It's usually 70 degrees the next day anyhow. :bounce:

Toliver

The tire socks looks interesting for snow only.
I guess I need to see how those even work. I don't get putting something over the tread to get more traction. But I guess they work somehow or another or there wouldn't be so many selling.

There is a reason semis carry them in winter. There is also a reason they have chain laws requiring you to chain up. This is semis obviously and they will work to some degree. Having weight is also helpful. Light weight pick up doesn’t get much traction in the rear. Add weight to the bed and chain up. Chains are far superior for maximum traction and wear. Since you just want them to add traction in certain events. I would use the cables.. if they won’t get you there stay home lol.