Soft shell turtles

SC Hunter

Is it legal to keep soft shell turtles? We fished the flint this morning and caught 3 between 12 and 18 inches across the top of their shell. I've had turtle soup before but wasn't sure of the legalities of it. I got the hook out of 2 and one broke the line on the ultralight. Their beautiful creatures for sure!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Years ago when I was a kid we use to keep and eat them , from what I can remember they were delicious , think we fried them like chicken

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
As far as i know, the alligator snapping turtle is the only turtle species protected. Softshells are the best eating ones and as antharper said, fried turtle nuggets are awesome. I usually run the chunks thru my meat cuber before batter and frying.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Second best turtle to eat. Only a gopher tortoise is better. Can`t mess with gopher`s anymore though.

Smokepoler

Never knew that about Gopher Tortoise. Reckon they eat better because they are land dwellers?

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I never ate a Gopher, but the Softshells were good.

SC Hunter

I came real close to putting them in the cooler but wasn't sure of the legalities of it and the last thing I wanted was to have the game warden standing at the landing on the way home. I'd be interested in trying turtle nuggets next time I catch one I may try it.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
My daddy would eat the hound out of a gopher. They ate them all the time when he was growing up in the Florida pan handle. They say a alligator snapper has seven different flavors of meat on him.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Saw a ton of gopher turtles at the Satilla River Club the other week.

Nimrod71

My grandfather loved gopher. He would give me $5 for everyone I brought him. Grandmother would clean them and fry them up. It was a Sunday dinner special. Yes it was good fried with gravy and mashed potatoes and sweet ice tea. butter beans, corn bread, cabbage, black eye peas with carrot cake and lemon pie.