Sous Vide ribeye, maiden voyage

chobrown

One of my favorite ways to cook a steak or anything for that matter.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
And we're done eating! It was what I expected: the most perfectly controled meat I've ever made, slightly missing the grill flavors. 140° was a little more rare than was predicted which was ok. The torch does a great job crusting, the house smells like a steakhouse. We're satisfied especially knowing the things to adjust next time.

So the only 2 drawbacks (1) Didn't stand around the grill in my favorite spot, more like tending a smoker (2) the torch grilled it pretty good, but there was a slight sacrifice of grill flavor (and I mean slight)

Upside: you can't mess it up. Family members and guests can pretty much point to a meat color. If you get a leaner cut (nightmare on the grill) I'm willing to bet 100% you could get it all the way to medium well, still tender and juicy (for the wives).

We're happy we did this, I'm commited now to adjust and try again. Pictures are chronological. Thanks for watching my thread. IMG_20190101_173109.jpg
IMG_20190101_173124.jpgIMG_20190101_173230.jpgIMG_20190101_173139.jpgIMG_20190101_173155.jpgIMG_20190101_173207.jpg

WayneB

just for kicks, do scrambled eggs and veggies sous-vide. It'll change your mind some.

place all the ingredients in ziplock baggie, and submerge to just about the zipper part and seal it up. 20 minutes at 160 IIRC.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
I gotta admit..... that looks pretty dang good!!

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Lesson #1 The foodsaver vacuum may not be the way, the vacuum is so strong it's pulling the juice and butter off the meat. I think I can get ziploc bags to be void of air pockets (enough), will try that next go.
nevermind lesson number 1. Pullentee of juice.

jigman29

Sous vide is pretty cool if you read a lot about it. Way more than just flopping meat in water. It's impossible to overcook anything with it and the meat is swimming in it's own juice the entire time which leads to great flavor. I have played with it with just adding warm water to a cooler and doing it that way. I will buy an actual unit soon now that I know how easy it is.
I will never give up my grill but this is another tool for cooking. Be like throwing away the skillets just because I have a Blackstone lol.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
To each their own, I guess. I'm glad y'all like it, but I think I'll stick to just cooking my steaks over a fire. Works plenty good enough for me. Takes about 6 minutes.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
To each their own, I guess. I'm glad y'all like it, but I think I'll stick to just cooking my steaks over a fire. Works plenty good enough for me. Takes about 6 minutes.
Yeah, me too.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Guess it's worth trying ?? (I'll stick with my PK grill...)

tbrown913

I'm gonna get one of these soon! I'm also bbn considering gr setting one of the big flame throwers like what is used to patch asphalt. Should sear the whole steak in a couple seconds. One youtube guy did a whole brisket and seared it with that. I will just have to set the meat on my grill to sear...

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
In they go. @sinclair1: I'm curious about that too. No harm in trying it. We'll either torch them for a finish or frying pan. Haven't decided. Dad has my skillet at deer camp, so that's out.

I probed my water a few times today and yesterday. The machine reads 148, my other three thermometers read 140°, should explain the picture.

How do you like your steaks cooked?