Speaking of Redeye Bass. I don't know the difference

Burton

between them and spots when I'm fishing the river. I just know I caught some of them.

One of them is almost solid like a smallmouth, but it isn't a smallmouth (6:17). I called it a spot, but it's probably a redeye?? This is in SC.

And here's my little boat for fishing a rocky river. I made a post in here last year trying to get suggestions on what would work. This turned out to be the cheapest option, and I'm happy with it so far.

<iframe width="1179" height="663" src="
" title="Saluda River Fishing in the Mokai" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lampern

SC has Bartram's redeye bass, smallmouth bass, Alabama spotted bass and largemouth bass

Not sure what bass that is but Bartram's and spots are not native to the Saluda.

But they readily hybridize and can be moved from river to river.

I'd check out the posted thread from shoal bandit

Last edited:

Damidgede

I've caught a lot of smallmouth out of Saluda when visiting our Columbia office. Agree that it doesn't look like a smallmouth. Looks like some hybrid species.

Burton

Yeah, but I'm way north of there (Belton). The ones down there were stocked in the Broad, right? I've caught some pretty ones out of the Broad.

James12

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of them can be very variable, too. Here are two 100% smallmouth from the same run in the river behind my house, caught only a few minutes and maybe fifty feet apart, showing the variation in coloration from individual fish to fish.

smallmouth5.jpg

smallmouth4.jpg