Split trip to Santee- Cooper week or weekend after Memorial Day.

Big7

The Oracle
Looking for 1 person to split the guide fee for a monster catfish trip the week or weekend after memorial day.

I lodge at Hills Landing in Cross, SC on the diversion Canal.

Also, if you have a 20ft or larger boat we can do that and me pay for the trailer and split gas and bait. I sold my 21ft and don't have enough boat to do that anymore. Have fish it without a guide many times.

I learned the bottom lake, Moultrie, from the late guide J.P Clark. He is a legend and boated many large Catfish and Striped Bass.

I know exactly where to go and what to do but I wouldn't try that lake in anything under 20ft and it would be a lot cheaper than hiring a guide.

PM me a phone number if you are interested.

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
Turns out the guide fee is $400.00 and he only fishes at night this time of year and that suits me. I sunburn easy and haven't been out this year.

A room with 2 double beds or a single wide trailer is anywhere from 85 to 110$ a night and he picks up at 6:45pm.

I have never been out with this guide but he is popular and well known. My old guide that passed away recommended him when he was booked solid so I'm confident he can put us on fish. He's been guiding full time 25+ years and was raised there.

I'd be willing to split with 1 or 2 more people 1 or 2 nights. Or as long as you want to stay if you have a suitable boat. The longer the better to me.

Last edited:

Jim Boyd

The canal is loaded with cats and can basically be fished with almost any boat.

Have used 12’ Jon boats there since the 60’s.

A typical night is good for about 100 lbs which is basically all the catfish meat you need for a good while.

The boats are a little bigger now but I have been all over both lakes in the Jon boat also. Just gotta watch the wind.

It is a great place to catfish, hope ya’ll pull off the trip.

Have not been in several years, need to plan a Friday night myself.

Big7

The Oracle
I looked at a few Kayaks yesterday.
That would work in the canal and down at Blacks Camp.

I usually stay at Hills and that would work too.

Big7

The Oracle
Bump.

I'm wanting to go bad but it is gluttonous for me to spend that much money just for myself. Not bad when split 2 or 3 ways.

If you want to go 1 or 2 days, PLEASE let me know.

Headshot17

Back years ago, we fished out of blacks camp and fished the canal. We always went in July or August. For whatever the reason, the hotter it was the better the catfish bit. My biggest from canal is a 54 lb blue cat, caught on about a 6"- 7" live bream.

Nuttin Better

I would recommend that you consider staying at Black's rather than Hill's Landing. Hills has new owners that have removed all the mobile homes and converted it into a RV park. They still have a few of the old motel rooms to rent but the last I heard they were going to be tearing them down soon.

The new owners at Hill's told me out of his own mouth that he did not want to be in the hospitality business. He did not want to rent rooms or run a restaurant. Black's has new owners also and they welcome and cater to weekend fishermen. A lot of guides fish out of Blacks.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I would recommend that you consider staying at Black's rather than Hill's Landing. Hills has new owners that have removed all the mobile homes and converted it into a RV park. They still have a few of the old motel rooms to rent but the last I heard they were going to be tearing them down soon.

The new owners at Hill's told me out of his own mouth that he did not want to be in the hospitality business. He did not want to rent rooms or run a restaurant. Black's has new owners also and they welcome and cater to weekend fishermen. A lot of guides fish out of Blacks.
I stayed at Black's in December. The new owner's were super nice and are really working to spruce the place up. We stayed in one of the single wide's and it was very clean.

riverdiver

Stay at Blacks, or Canal Lakes Resort, which is on the other side of the bridge from Hills.

Look up Captain Brad Browder, he’s guided at Santee for years.

Big7

The Oracle
Stay at Blacks, or Canal Lakes Resort, which is on the other side of the bridge from Hills.

Look up Captain Brad Browder, he’s guided at Santee for years.
That's a shame.

I've been fishing out of Hill's for 25 years since Bert and Ann owned it. They ran it until they got to old to work it. It's been through several owners since then.

The restaurant used to serve awesome food and those old black women would cook your catch.

I just dug my saltwater tackle out of the storage unit and I'm going to Clearwater/St. Pete soon. Already got the room paid for. Lot of Trout and Snook in the flats that run down the Courtney Campbell Causeway this time of year.

The X is in New York and I've been taking care of the animals for her so I'm going when she gets back.