"Squeal like a pig!" - Deliverance actor passes away

oldfella1962

:( Now we'll never get a chance to see him in "Deliverance - The Musical"

The guy had a pet squirrel! I googled it - squirrels do not make good pets.
But this guy defied the odds - and successfully raised squirrels.

Dub

Nether he or his girlfriend were wearing their seatbelts.

Can only winder how much of a factor that was in their deaths.

oldfella1962

Nether he or his girlfriend were wearing their seatbelts.

Can only winder how much of a factor that was in their deaths.
I'm not surprised about the seatbelts. Sometimes it's a "can't teach an old dog new tricks" thing. My mother and mother-in-law refused to "listen to the science" when mandatory seatbelt use/child car seat use was implemented.
Or maybe they fell into the "I'm only going right down the road and back" thinking or worse yet "I'm a careful driver" thinking. It must have been a pretty bad wreck if the squirrel didn't survive - squirrels are pretty tough!

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
The seatbelt tickets are $180 fine in North Carolina. Thats reason enough for me to wear it. Also, some folks have medical conditions that prevents them from wearing seatbelts. You never know.

oldfella1962

The seatbelt tickets are $180 fine in North Carolina. Thats reason enough for me to wear it. Also, some folks have medical conditions that prevents them from wearing seatbelts. You never know.
I didn't know that some people can't wear seatbelts for medical reasons. I learn something new every day on this site!

Triple C

Imagine being poor Ned Beatty saying…”Yeah, I’ll take that part”.

Poor guy lived a miserable life after the infamous squeal like a pig scene. Imagine every airport encounter with folks whispering…That’s him.

oldfella1962

Poor guy lived a miserable life after the infamous squeal like a pig scene. Imagine every airport encounter with folks whispering…That’s him.
I wonder if Ned really read through the script before he signed on for the movie? :unsure: Imagine if the director just deviated from the script and threw this scene together at the last minute! :LOL: The look on Ned's face would be priceless.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Billy Redden, Ronnie Cox, and Jon Voight are th only ones left. RIP. If you’ve never read the book Deliverance is a whole other thing.

Dr. Strangelove

He was a cowboy actor at "Ghost Town in the Sky" in Maggie Valley, NC. They would stage old west gunfights several times a day.

Burt Reynolds worked a few of the "cowboy gunfights" and met Cowboy. Legend has it that's how he was later offered the role in Deliverance.

I went to Ghost Town in the Sky many times as a kid, it was a blast.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
He was a cowboy actor at "Ghost Town in the Sky" in Maggie Valley, NC. They would stage old west gunfights several times a day.

Burt Reynolds worked a few of the "cowboy gunfights" and met Cowboy. Legend has it that's how he was later offered the role in Deliverance.

I went to Ghost Town in the Sky many times as a kid, it was a blast.
They’ve tried to bring Ghost Town back several times but it never gets very far.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I knew him, he lived near here. My dad bought the house we were living in when I was born from Cowboy. Where he got killed was just a few miles from here. Cowboy was a great guy, and quite the character. I used to run into him at the grocery store now and then. He took that chihuahua and squirrel about everywhere with him. Here is me and Cowboy awhile back. RIP Cowboy, there won't be another one like you.

IMG_0318.jpeg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
BTW, to set the record straight, Cowboy wasn't the "squeal like a pig" feller. He played the "you sure do got a purty mouth" feller that John Voight had to climb up the cliff to kill.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They’ve tried to bring Ghost Town back several times but it never gets very far.
It's a money pit and a death trap. No telling how many people were killed and maimed up there that got covered up over the years. My ex-wife was working up there when I met her. My dad worked for a year up there running the incline railroad that hauled people up the mountainside, sitting in a little shack full of electrical equipment on top of a mountain with lightning popping around him.
Every now and then, a chair would fall off the chairlift, or the inclined railroad train would break the cable and go through the front station, across the parking lot, and off into the creek. It was just a tacky, over-hyped, over-priced deathtrap that clogged the roads of the whole county with tourists all summer. I'm glad it's gone.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Billy Redden, Ronnie Cox, and Jon Voight are th only ones left. RIP. If you’ve never read the book Deliverance is a whole other thing.
On my bookshelf right beside where I’m sitting. I keep it with the classics:
IMG_0540.jpeg

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Same with Cowboy and the other actor who played the squeal like a pig feller.
Of course, Cowboy in real life was not a psychotic, homicidal, inbred ignorant queer, or anything at all like the role he played in that movie, but that stereotype followed him the rest of his life. Behold the headline when he got killed. He was just an old man trying to get home from the doctor's office.
:(

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
It's a money pit and a death trap. No telling how many people were killed and maimed up there that got covered up over the years. My ex-wife was working up there when I met her. My dad worked for a year up there running the incline railroad that hauled people up the mountainside, sitting in a little shack full of electrical equipment on top of a mountain with lightning popping around him.
Every now and then, a chair would fall off the chairlift, or the inclined railroad train would break the cable and go through the front station, across the parking lot, and off into the creek. It was just a tacky, over-hyped, over-priced deathtrap that clogged the roads of the whole county with tourists all summer. I'm glad it's gone.
Don’t sound like maintenance was much of a going concern.