Squirrel season opening day expectations.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I wish more including myself shared your enthusiasm for early season squirrels. There's no better way to perfect your woodsmanship and marksmanship than spending time chasing squirrels with a .22 and It's a great time to begin scouting for Fall big game seasons. Good luck.
I wish we had the opportunity here. Squirrel season doesn't open in NC until mid-October.

weagle

I can't wait. I think you'll find you pretty much have the woods to yourself. If they have warbles, they just come off with the skin and do not go into the meat. No harm no foul. Biggest problem is the heat. I like to hunt very early or better on a cloudy day with just a little drizzle. Good luck!

gXSIN2M.png

Well tomorrow is the "big" day. Haven't seen many squirrels out the last week or so but I'm in the suburbs so maybe the country will be different. Also hoping that the first semi-cool day after 3-4 really hot days will have them out more. Anyone else going out tomorrow?

crackerdave

I might mess around and find a few cuttin hickory nuts around twilight.

Seems like their meat is sweeter when they're feeding on nuts.

weagle

I can't go till this weekend. If I kill one with some wolves, I'll get a video of cleaning it, so you can see how they come off with the skin.

No luck for me. I was out there at 6:30am until about 10am when the wind starting picking up making it useless. Sat down for about 30 minutes, saw one squirrel about 200 yards away about 35 yards up a tree and no way was I hitting him, tried to get closer but he was gone and didn't come back out. Saw another one about an hour later but by the time I got my scope on it, it was back around the other side of the tree. Hard hunting with leaves still on the trees. Don't think I'll be back out until I see squirrels being way more active or leaves falling.

K80Shooter

When we were younger, we always waited till Thanksgiving Day to squirrel hunt. It was cool enough then to walk through the woods without getting too hot.

I got chigger bites, kid got chigger bites. I ain't going out until the chiggers die off, gonna stick to fishing until then.