St, Augustine fishing vacation

BassRaider

We did a spur of the moment vacation to St. Augustine Beach on 5/4 - 5/11.
Got some fishing time in as well. Fished Tuesday & Thursday and caught ~75 fish. All on 15lb braid & 1/4oz jig head. Most were reds and ladyfish with some drum and a 3 1/2'- 4' bonnet head shark, and several others(eels, turtles, robins, cats). General area was Ft Matanzas & Rattlesnake Island.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I did a lot of fishing off the bridge, inlet, and the Island back in the day. Try flounder fishing along Short Beach using mud minnows. Work them like you would a plastic worm when fishing for bass.

BassRaider, where were you fishing from? Surf fishing, pier, boat, etc?

I'm going there at the end of the month and trying to get on some pompanos and snooks (wanna bag a keeper). I too was looking at those areas you went too, Ft Matanzas and Rattle snake island. Was also looking at that bridge on hwy 206 as well (heard good for snook). Seen anyone catching snooks or pomps?

And was you using lures or any live bait?

Nicodemus, how would one work a mud minnow for flounder? I don't bass fish. Just saltwater mostly.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member

I'm going there at the end of the month and trying to get on some pompanos and snooks (wanna bag a keeper). I too was looking at those areas you went too, Ft Matanzas and Rattle snake island. Was also looking at that bridge on hwy 206 as well (heard good for snook). Seen anyone catching snooks or pomps?

Nicodemus, how would one work a mud minnow for flounder? I don't bass fish. Just saltwater mostly.

I rig my hook on a piece of monofilament about 14 inches long, give or take, barrel swivel on the other end. Slide an egg sinker, weight depending on the current, on the main line tied to the other end of the barrel swivel. Hook your mud minnow through the nose, and cast and drag it slowly in. Flounder are set and wait ambush fish so you need to keep you bait moving all the time.

Old man taught me that trick when I was still a young man. The technique works.

Darkhorse

I rig my hook on a piece of monofilament about 14 inches long, give or take, barrel swivel on the other end. Slide an egg sinker, weight depending on the current, on the main line tied to the other end of the barrel swivel. Hook your mud minnow through the nose, and cast and drag it slowly in. Flounder are set and wait ambush fish so you need to keep you bait moving all the time.

Old man taught me that trick when I was still a young man. The technique works.
Yes it does. I once fished Fort Clinch a good bit and that's exactly how I fished for flounder around the jetties and the river. A sensitive rod with braid worked best for me because they don't bite hard, just nibble.

BassRaider

Fished from boat using spinning rod with 1/4oz jig and live shrimp. Most of the reds came from right side of Rattlesnake and most of the ladyfish came from the left side where the split at Rattlesnake. Also, where shark was caught. Also went south of Marineland.
My friend was using 3/8 jig on baitcaster.
Get your shrimp at Devil's Elbow.