Stand Placement

cr00241

I have a property I just bought this year. The land was thinned 7 years ago. I have a good amount of pines and hardwoods left with new growth coming up. The place is thick right now. I took my dozer and pushed out a loop around the property. I also pushed some trails to a couple oak trees. I have some lock ons I have never used. I am going to try my best to get a buck with my bow.

My questions is, what's the best way to use the lock ons?
I feel like I would stick out too much on the pines with no cover 20ft up.

I am use to hunting in ladder stands with a gun and not use to having to stand up and pull a bow back.

If anyone has some suggestions on what they do, I would appreciate it.

Rich M

You will need cover around your stand - they'll spot you if you don't.

You will need to draw your bow real slow, you can kill 'em just as well at 50# as with 70# draw. No sense wearing your joints out either.

You will also need to learn how to shoot from both sitting and standing positions. Not difficult. Just practice form both. Standing up to shoot will spook a lot of deer if you can't spot them coming 100 yards out.

Enjoy the challenge.

cr00241

You will need cover around your stand - they'll spot you if you don't.

You will need to draw your bow real slow, you can kill 'em just as well at 50# as with 70# draw. No sense wearing your joints out either.

You will also need to learn how to shoot from both sitting and standing positions. Not difficult. Just practice form both. Standing up to shoot will spook a lot of deer if you can't spot them coming 100 yards out.

Enjoy the challenge.

Thanks for the reply. I will be hunting off the road way that I made. My longest Shot would be probably 30 yards max. I will start practicing shooting sitting down.

BlackEagle

Banned
I'll stick a lock on in a pine tree without hesitation and kill deer all year long.

Being still and moving/drawing at the right time is far more important than the tree you sit in.

uturn

I love Lock-ons!! And, really don't hunt from anything else!

I will take a lock-on almost every time over everything else specially on private land!

Nothing compares to them...climbers as well as ladders n ground blinds have there place sure but, if you are on private land or where you can utilize them without fear of theft they are it...I think!!

Most of mine I have found folks can not even detect less I point them out...even on pines, I just try and find a cluster of them (pines) or ones with a limb or two something that helps with your silhouette! Although, I have hung a few that seemed like they were on a telephone pole in the middle of a football field n still I killed deer from them!

A game changer...use them and you will never look back!!

Good luck!

Last edited:

7mmMag

First of all if you pushed out a trail in the middle of the thick you have created a corridor. They are like us they will walk the easiest path. You can get some limbs to camo in the stand. Just get some zip ties and pine limbs. Just make sure you can get in and out safely. It doesn't take much just break up your outline.

The Fever

First of all if you pushed out a trail in the middle of the thick you have created a corridor. They are like us they will walk the easiest path. You can get some limbs to camo in the stand. Just get some zip ties and pine limbs. Just make sure you can get in and out safely. It doesn't take much just break up your outline.

This ^^. Also, find trees like sweet gum as their limbs will help break up your outline. Set your stand 20 yards off the trail with your lock on running parallel to the trail. In this way you can draw without contorting your body. Additionally, you will have the trees in that 20 yard buffer to assist in drawing. Slow even movement and nothing herky jerky like you sometimes see on TV. I personally like to hang my lock ons in threes with a bunch of vines. I use paracord to tie the vines to the trunk so I dont trip as I am climbing up. Then I do a similar thing where I want the lock on so they arent messing with me. The outline of the tree is already broken up so you fit right in. However, in this set up do not set yourself directly off the side of the tree or the point is moot. Instead angle it 45 degrees so you dont have to contort as much, but you benefit from the slight angle. I like to use this setup particular where you have a V where two trails meet. Cheers! Congratulations on the land purchase. One day I'll be there too! Please share your experiences too!

cr00241

Thanks for the input guys. I have trail cameras running now on the trails and I have some bucks cruising them. I didn't think about adding limbs to my set up. I will do that. Some long screws and electric drill should hold the limbs in place.

I do have a couple pines with vines growing up them. One is actual off of a 3/4 acre food plot I just made.

shdw633

Don't be afraid to hunt from a ground blind as well. I killed one last year from a ground blind and since you have pushed up areas you can most likely make something natural in those areas to hide in or behind it to set up an ambush.

The Fever

Don't be afraid to hunt from a ground blind as well. I killed one last year from a ground blind and since you have pushed up areas you can most likely make something natural in those areas to hide in or behind it to set up an ambush.

That's another terrific idea!