Stock Market Discussion -- When and What to Consider

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I will stay in the market. I have seen doomsday predictions before. It will either comeback or it will fail. If it fails, nothing else will be worth a dime.

finnhunter

My (stock) investing advice, in no particular order:
Start now. The younger you are, the better, time is on your side.
Open up an online account. I like Fidelity, but there's plenty of others
Some folks prefer to use brokers, I never saw the need for one.
Only invest money that you can afford to lose
Invest in stocks in the long haul, at least 5 years, preferably over 10 years
If you are young, go 100% in stocks. The older you get, start adding slowly bonds to your portfolio
Unless you have time to follow individual stocks, buy ETF's or mutual funds. My favorites are ones that track stock indexes, such as total market index, S&P 500 Index, Russell 2000, NASDAQ etc
Have cash available, just in case there's a major correction, like now.
Do not react to today's market news. Figure out what your long term plan is and stick to it. Helps you keep your cool when everyone else is panicking.
Your most valuable financial asset is your capacity to work, don't let investing interfere with that.
Good luck!

mattuga

Banned
My Update: I dabbled on Tuesday and put about 20% of our allocation in the market. Wednesday and today have me sitting and waiting to see what pans out. This market reaction is wild. I'm starting to think that companies who are having their stocks get hammered but shelves emptied may be good bets for 1st quarter earning reports, this idea started with advice from a financial advisor I'm considering. I bought Qualcomm, Bank of America, and Labcorp, and Vangaurd Dividend Fund. Of course I'm down in all of them, just waiting on the next time I feel confident to buy again with my staged entry into this decline, I can't plan exactly to enter at the bottom but buying cheap isn't a disaster plan. Avoid companies whose earnings will suffer hard Q1 as Q1 earnings are coming soon for another hit. I think the calming is next week but I felt the same last week.

Side note:
I think the media frenzy behind this is notable to have sideline cash/liquidity for these opportunities in the future. A 5%+ dip here and there is quite possible on bad news compared to the past

mattuga

Banned
This thread is dead. Someone revive another or I have to go into the politcal forum!

I am not worthy to advise a buy on specific stocks but can recommend stocks I think are worth looking into as I have a position in them and haven't sold. I always think someone should have a financial advisor, just my ** precursor cause I am no pro. I have positions that I purchased in this dip based on my expectations of their stock recovery: Walmart, Qualcomm, Occidental Petro, Live Nation, BofA, Welltower, Labcorp, and a fund with Vangaurd VDIGX. I have better entries into some stocks than others as I have a staged buying strategy, I mainly started buying last Monday and I'm about 40% into my allocation for this dip. I think it has a little more to fall so will likely wait to see some what is ahead. I am probably not a guy to follow for stocks but have started on my own after a 10 year hiatus. For a heavy pullback like this I want to spread the $ through winners in their industries and stay about 50% stocks and 50% mutual funds.

I am down 6% since Monday

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
The 1st quarter earnings reports will start coming out in about 14 days. Brace for impact.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I am still hanging with the, dont get off the roller coaster at the bottom.

shdw633

Big bump today but I wouldn't let it fool you into thinking we have hit bottom and are coming back. As Elfiii stated Sunday the earning reports will start coming out soon and the markets will react heavily on them in anticipation of them not being any better and possibly worse in the second quarter. The market is moving mountains almost daily on just statements about what's going to happen because of the virus, so until it decides to run on the financial data of a company and not just the speculation of what could happen we will see more dips to the downside and it may be a while before the bottom is actually hit in my opinion.

mattuga

Banned
Big bump today but I wouldn't let it fool you into thinking we have hit bottom and are coming back. As Elfiii stated Sunday the earning reports will start coming out soon and the markets will react heavily on them in anticipation of them not being any better and possibly worse in the second quarter. The market is moving mountains almost daily on just statements about what's going to happen because of the virus, so until it decides to run on the financial data of a company and not just the speculation of what could happen we will see more dips to the downside and it may be a while before the bottom is actually hit in my opinion.

I see a 60% down like 08-09. Not near the bottom yet. You have to pay attention to the market makers. Little volume led to the incline today. Blooodbath to come

mattuga

Banned
I am still hanging with the, dont get off the roller coaster at the bottom.
Hold funds but trade out where possible with stocks IMO. Tomorrow wlll likely plummet but may catch wind on the bailout out but most of us know we are stepping into pluff mudd territory with a good lifeline economy outlook once it is over.

LTZ25

I’m 68 and I’m in mutual funds and don’t want to look because I don’t even know what a MF is . But my Wells Fargo guy said to me a couple of months ago I’m in a low risk setting . I not a pessimistic person but I’m sure I will not outlive my $ .

shdw633

I’m 68 and I’m in mutual funds and don’t want to look because I don’t even know what a MF is . But my Wells Fargo guy said to me a couple of months ago I’m in a low risk setting . I not a pessimistic person but I’m sure I will not outlive my $ .

I am behind you about 10 years and look at my mutual funds yesterday, which are somewhat low risk and found that I only had lost about $14,000 which was not as bad as I was expecting, though I still didn't like it I think I have time to recoup that before I am really going to need it.