Stoeger vs Mossberg o/u

hpeeler

Anyone have any experience with the Mossberg Silver Reserve II o/u? I was given several gift cards and was thinking about getting this or a Stoeger Condor Supreme in 20ga. I know all about the quality of the Turkish made over/unders and this gun will be an occasional shooter. I’m limited as to where I can shop because of the gift cards. I like the look of the Mossberg but I know The Condor has been around a while so looking for experiences from those that have shot them. Thanks

I shoot skeet and sporting clays recreationally. I have first hand experience with both guns. Save your money. If you don't have a $1000 at minimum, stick with a good auto. The actions on the guns you mentioned are hit or miss. You will have problems with the second barrel firing and barrel regulation. I have one coworker who loves his Condor, another has sent three back. The Mossberg o/u's I have been around were all duds. Sorry to be negative, but it's my honest first hand experience.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think Stevens probably has the best quality of the "budget" O/Us.

The budget guns get pretty expensive when you upgrade to the Browning/Beretta you wish you had purchased the first go round. The Stoeger inertia guns have a pretty good reputation and go for around the same cost as a budget over and under. The Winchester 101 is Belgium made and goes for around a thousand, same for the franchi instinct. Why knowingly buy a subpar gun? I buy the guns I want and save my gift cards for ammo. Why not put the cards towards a better value and put the balance on layaway? It will save you money in the end.

Last edited:

Buford_Dawg

So...

I have had a Stoeger Condor 20 in the past. Had NO issues with it and put about 500 rounds over course of 4 years with it. Traded it in on a Franchi Affinity 20 guage for my son. For average use, it was a good gun. But I was using it for 5 hunts or so a year, so not putting alot of shells thru it. After reading about the good reviews of the Yildiz O/U, I bought one of those several years back and it is really a nice little 20 O/U. If your gift cards will work at Academy, suggest you give those a look. If you are looking to shoot alot, then as noted by others in the thread, you probably want to spend more money and get a higher quality gun, but for what I am using mine for, briar busting after rabbits and such, the Yildiz is perfect.

wareagle700

Under $1000 I'd look at the CZ guns. Although they don't have the fit and finish of a fine Italian, they seem to be very well made.

If that's still above your budget, check out the Yildiz guns at Academy. Very CZ like, just with laser etched engraving.

Klondike

Condor

I have had a condor 20 gauge for 6 years. Have used it for turkey, quail and clays. I am fine with it but I would not buy it again - I would go with the CZ teal line. I think a better gun

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I won an o/u mossberg at a DU banquet 10 years ago. I've shot thousands of rounds at dove,ducks and clays. It's my go to bird gun

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
My dad has a condor, I've used it on dove and clay a few times. Never had a hiccup.

pacecars

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A Ferrari or Lamborghini will outperform my Nissan truck by a large margin. But my truck does what I need it to do, it gets me to work and back every day, and to the woods and water. If I was going to be racing in some prestigious Euro racing circuit, I'd probably be better off to invest in the Ferrari. But I just don't need it day to day. Likewise, someone who is wanting a shotgun to shoot a few doves or quail with each year probably isn't going to be competing in a professional skeet circuit, and may not need that fanciest, best gun that money will buy.

Why knowingly buy a subpar automobile like a Ford or Chevy instead of saving up and getting a Mercedes or Lexus? Maybe you don't need it, can't afford it, and just want a Ford.

I see the same mentality about scopes, like you can't possibly consistently kill a deer in the southeast without at least an $800 scope. The facts prove otherwise. Some folks want the best there is, some folks want something that works that they can afford.

A Ferrari or Lamborghini will outperform my Nissan truck by a large margin. But my truck does what I need it to do, it gets me to work and back every day, and to the woods and water. If I was going to be racing in some prestigious Euro racing circuit, I'd probably be better off to invest in the Ferrari. But I just don't need it day to day. Likewise, someone who is wanting a shotgun to shoot a few doves or quail with each year probably isn't going to be competing in a professional skeet circuit, and may not need that fanciest, best gun that money will buy.

Why knowingly buy a subpar automobile like a Ford or Chevy instead of saving up and getting a Mercedes or Lexus? Maybe you don't need it, can't afford it, and just want a Ford.

I see the same mentality about scopes, like you can't possibly consistently kill a deer in the southeast without at least an $800 scope. The facts prove otherwise. Some folks want the best there is, some folks want something that works that they can afford.

In my experience, quality has been poor with the guns he has mentioned. I won't buy a gun if you told me upfront it probably won't shoot 1000 rounds a year. I want all of my guns to be sledge hammer reliable regardless of price. Low cost doubles are usually not a good value. Especially considering the auto guns you can get in the same price range. You could buy a 1100 or 1187 and shoot it every weekend for the rest of your life. If I had $600 to spend and had to buy a shotgun, I'd get a BPS. The cost of an budget double will get you the finest pump gun ever made!

Last edited:

TAS

Bought my wife a Mossburg 20 gauge O/U. She has had no problems with it. I shoot it sometimes when I don't feel like shooting a 12 and like it.

hpeeler

Thanks for all of the replies. I figured the thread would turn in to this. While I do have some nice high end guns, I just thought for a freebie (gift cards) I’d try one of these just for fun.

oppthepop

I bought two of the Condors back before Christmas and took on a quail hunt with several friends using and shooting both. The guns were a little tight (not bad in my book) and both shot like a dream with no problems. One is a 20 and the other a 12. Seriously, for the few dollars they cost, they are pretty good shotguns IMHO.

GA native

I have a Stoeger outback. I've had it about a year now, with zero issues. It eats anything you feed it. Same for the BIL's Stoeger coach gun.

Stoeger had some quality issues, but since Beretta/Benelli bought them out, it seems that quality has improved.

IIICrkRepr

I won an o/u mossberg at a DU banquet 10 years ago. I've shot thousands of rounds at dove,ducks and clays. It's my go to bird gun

I have the 12ga, never had an issue with it, owned it for 12+ years. It shoulders well and points naturally for me, really only use it for clays but did take my 1st turkey with it.

Yankee in GA

I was in the same boat with gift cards to spend about seven years ago. I bought the Stoeger Condor 20 ga. and for what I use it for, it works great. Occasional bird / small game hunting and clay shooting. I did have to take it apart in the beginning and give it a good cleaning because the barrels weren't switching well. Other than that, it's been a fine shotgun for the money.

rosewood

:cool: