suggestions on putting in a late plot on this land

seaweaver

I just got this land to hunt. Not a lease yet but that might come soon. This is 50 ac. mostly surrounded by bottoms with this wild field about 20%.
I could not take a step w/o seeing tracks.
I am going to set up some ladder stands and perhaps a small tower and I want to put in something to be THE draw.
Suggestions? At a minimum I was thinking of cutting a few patches out from the thick cover and sow some rye. The summer heat will hammer it dead later.
They are coming out but I don't see what they are feeding on right off. There is little green in the field.
North Effingham co.
thanks
cw

Attachments

• DSC06250.jpg
    DSC06250.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC06251.jpg
    DSC06251.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC06252.jpg
    DSC06252.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC06253.jpg
    DSC06253.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 232

Nga.

Rye and oats would be a good quick plot. I wouldn't over do it looks like that place is good bedding ground. In the past I've had some ares like that that was good the way they were with the broom sage.

seaweaver

I thought the same about bedding but I only saw one single bed. I don't know what they are doing or where they are going as there is no ag planting nearby.
I think I hit it w/ the weed eater and plant w/ both, then wait till spring.
cw

downsouth

i live in rincon with 50 ac dont plant anything yet unless you are gona have it next year dont want to be sitting on corn either lol

if you see alot of trails and and fresh tracks sit in the stand a extra hour longer in the mornings but right now the moon has deer around me moving late after dark late that is

if you still have the land in feb let me know i can point ya on the right road to plant

hunter_58

Do your testing and planning now for spring plantings, dont mess with it during this season, but be ready for spring if you can lease it. sounds like you have a lot of potential with that land !!

Good luck

gadeerwoman

I can tell from the pictures that your ph is low...you got broom sedge. Mow and lime it hard asap. If you want to get something in this year that will last until spring, go with some winter wheat and arrowleaf or crimson clover. But you definitely need to hit it with lime. That broomsedge will disappear once the ph moves up.

Confederate_Jay

I'd mow a few strips, climb up one of those pines and just catch them crossing.

Do any good with the crossbow?

Jay

horsecreek

its darn sure looks like a great spot though!!! man, A lil plot in the middle would be perfect!

SBG

Can you burn it?