Summit Upgrades and New Setup

ASH556

I've had Summit climbing stands for 20 years. I've had my current Viper for about 10 years now. I'm getting more and more heavily back into bow hunting (probably spend 90% of my hunting with a bow in-hand) and wanted to make a few changes to my setup this year to make it faster, lighter, and easier to manage.

I added the Hazmore hammock seat. This saves weight over the factory Summit seat, allows you to sit higher, which I prefer for bowhunting, makes packing and unpacking the stand faster because you don't have to loop the seat through the sections, and is actually even more comfortable than the factory Summit seat (which I was honestly doubtful about). I've got a full 12 hour sit under my belt in this thing and love it!

p6ELFje.jpg

On the foot platform, I got some 1" adhesive grip tape off Amazon and added it in addition to the Summit footrest kit. This is a lifesaver getting in and out of the stand when the platform is more angled at the bottom of the tree and boots are often wet from dew. The footrest kit just adds comfort. For the backpack straps to carry the stand, I've never liked the way the Summits looped over the platform so that you step on it. Also I have broad shoulders and they always pinched a bit. The green cord nestles between the platform channels so you don't step on it. The straps themselves are a pair of rifle slings (Butler Creek Neoprene Padded) from Walmart, $10/ea. The cord also lets me set the width of the straps for comfort.

QLm1KyF.jpg

For my backpack, I no longer wanted it hanging off my EZ Hanger up above me. I've had a few issues in the past where I needed to shoot close to that side of the tree and the pack has been in the way. I added a simple loop of 550 cord to the upper section of the armrest and simply clip the pack to that with a carabener.

5o5iVMX.jpg

For my bow I went to a shorter version of the EZ hanger. I like having the bow closer to the tree and this one has the new longer hook for wider limbed bows like my V3. I also added a loop of 550 cord to the top of my quiver and I simply slip it over the EZ hanger and slide it back against the tree. For my binoculars, I went away from the Crooked Horn Harness and to the Vortex harness. I like the "pouch" to protect the binoculars and I zip-tied my rangefinder pouch to the side to keep both easily accessible.

ohrXIMG.jpg

Last edited:

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I just ordered a hazmore sling seat for one of my 3 API's. Looking forward to seeing how that works out.
I like the string idea for the backpack straps and may give it a whirl.
I don't like my backpack dangling on one side. If you touch it it will swing and twist and move. I'm afraid if I stand up it will want to pull my top part over a little sideways. I have some 3/8 inch rope tied to the top loop so I can just wrap the rope around the tree and tie the pack off behind me and to 1 side against the tree... no movement.
I still use the old PSE quiver that has the rail that fits the receiver on the bow... Acquired an extra piece of that rail and cut it into 3 pieces and have it attached to the wrap-around bar on my stands so the bow attaches to them... Got some extra receivers also attack attached to my stands so I can clip the quiver in behind behind me and parallel to the stand frame...
Good thread here on mods. Thx.

Piggy06

You're a heck of a lot tougher than I am to sit in a rope seat for 12 hrs. Couldn't sit in my La-Z-Boy for that long.