Sunday

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
So was I, but I went and got a job that has me working every 3rd Sunday.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I was brought up that Jesus is cool with Sunday hunts...never closer to the Lord than I am enjoying his creation.
If I hunt on Sunday I’ll wait till the afternoon. I’m always scared that if I skip church and go hunting that I might fall out of the tree or that someone might shoot me by accident.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I was brought up that ya can’t shoot on Sunday
In Ohio there used to be no Sunday hunting. Gun season for deer was 6 days and it was shotgun only. You had to apply for a doe tag and you could only shoot it on Monday. Some rural school districts would close that week

doublebarrel

When deer hunting season opened up in Greene County it was illegal to hunt on Sunday.Sheriff Wyatt had signs made up and posted on major roads at county line No Sunday Hunting,i belive it was 1961 or 1962.BB

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
But things like that slowly went by the wayside. I think we going down a slippery slope, when we forget all the things that were considered taboo back in the day. I never thought I would see the day, when women, especially the younger ones, would out cuss a sailor in public. Words, one in particular you would have not even thought saying in mixed company are now totally accepted.

Johnny 71

Junebug
I could hunt on any of the properties around me growing up, but not on Sunday
Everyone got cleaned up , and dressed nice, to go to the store
We never thought about leaving trash in the woods or on the creek
My Great Grandmother would fix dumplings if I killed at least 4 squirrels

Oldstick

Me too and could not go to the picture show either.

Agree. We also never went to a restaurant either, until I was near teenage and most of the other folks in the churches were doing it as well. Even then, my parents wouldn't patronize any store except maybe an "emergency" milk stop at a convenience store. Had to be ready for Monday am with 4 kids.

LTZ25

When deer hunting season opened up in Greene County it was illegal to hunt on Sunday.Sheriff Wyatt had signs made up and posted on major roads at county line No Sunday Hunting,i belive it was 1961 or 1962.BB
I can remember we were hunting when the law was changed down that way.

specialk

We couldnt buy beer on sunday....oh we could drink....just couldnt buy it....couldnt hunt on sunday but could fish..

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
As a kid in Maine there was no hunting on Sunday. Now as an adult I go back some and they still can't hunt on Sunday.
As a teen in Georgia I remember some mentors that I hunted with who would not hunt on Sunday.
Mexican Squealer said it best for me too, there's no place I'm closer to God then in the woods, even on Sunday.
I also feel like the Lords day is everyday. There's not a day goes by that I'm not thankin and prayin to God hourly.
When Noah docked the ark God told him these animals I give to you.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
There are probably some folks that still feel that way. When I was a kid we did not hunt on Sunday. During that time there were no decks of playing cards allowed in either of my grandparent's homes either.

Like others have said above, I am closer to my God in the outdoors than anywhere else I could choose to be, including church. This was not always the case, but it is now for me personally.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Near as I can remember, it wasn`t against the law to actually hunt on Sunday around here. It was against the law to shoot a gun on Sunday.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Not going to swear to it, but I don’t recall ever hunting on Sunday, at least not til after midnight. :bounce:

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I remember that way also, because it never interfered wit bow season .

There wasn`t a bow season when I remember that law. That was before we had a gun season too, for a while. We were still hunting turkeys in the fall when that law was in effect.