T&M equipment question

reds

Been reading and planning to buy an atv spreader and sprayer to start t&m this fall. Couple of questions:
Is there any certain brand or style you prefer?
For those spreaders that have the 12 volt motor inside the hopper, do you spread fertilizer with it?
Can the hopper and slinger be hosed to clean it without damaging the motor?
Thanks

Jim Boyd

We just bought a sprayer this year.

So much more versatile than pto and quicker to use.

Good luck

IMG_4591.png

Jim Boyd

I do like the nozzle sprayers better than boomless, but haven't decided yet. Thanks

With all the shut off valves this sprayer has it would be really easy to make it boomless / boom type.

Truth is it can be used to accomplish either task the way it is set up now.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Lots of ways to skin that cat! I use a Herd seeder to spread fertilizer and large seeds, although it can spread small seed too. Wash it down, let it dry and spray it down with a 50/50 mix of diesel fuel and used oil.

Attachments

• Herd Seeder.JPG
    Herd Seeder.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Spreader.jpg
    Spreader.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 12

Canuck5

For the small, expensive seed, I use a Fimco Spreader which I love. When I am done, I just blow it off with compressed air ..... no water.

My herd seeder is 12 years old now and the Fimco is probably 6.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Been reading and planning to buy an atv spreader and sprayer to start t&m this fall. Couple of questions:
Is there any certain brand or style you prefer?
For those spreaders that have the 12 volt motor inside the hopper, do you spread fertilizer with it?
Can the hopper and slinger be hosed to clean it without damaging the motor?
Thanks

I have a cone type tractor spreader that works well for fertilizer and most seeds. I also have an atv spreader that I can use on my golf cart or 4 wheeler. It has the motor inside. I have used it many times and just wash out the fertilizer/lime/seed when finished. The motor is sealed.

reds

Lots of ways to skin that cat! I use a Herd seeder to spread fertilizer and large seeds, although it can spread small seed too. Wash it down, let it dry and spray it down with a 50/50 mix of diesel fuel and used oil.
Do you mix fertilizer and seed in the hopper together?
I have tractor and cone spreader, but trying to eliminate tractor on the plots to reduce compaction.

reds

I have a cone type tractor spreader that works well for fertilizer and most seeds. I also have an atv spreader that I can use on my golf cart or 4 wheeler. It has the motor inside. I have used it many times and just wash out the fertilizer/lime/seed when finished. The motor is sealed.
Thanks.

Canuck5

Do you mix fertilizer and seed in the hopper together?
I have tractor and cone spreader, but trying to eliminate tractor on the plots to reduce compaction.
I don't because I usually have lots to spread, plus mixing fertilizer and seed isn't always the best idea.

Attachments

• Mixing fertilizer and seed.JPG
    Mixing fertilizer and seed.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 5

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
We've been using a 12volt Moultrie spreaded on the back of a Honda 4-wheeler for a good ten years. Spread thousands of pounds of fertilizer and seed with it.

We don't mix The fertilizer and seed. Two passes over every plot each fall. Then a quick rinse wit fresh water after spreading seed and let it dry in the sun. Follow that up with a liberal spray with WD-40 and store in a shipping container till next year.

One of these days that little spinner motor is bound to die, until then.......

reds

We've been using a 12volt Moultrie spreaded on the back of a Honda 4-wheeler for a good ten years. Spread thousands of pounds of fertilizer and seed with it.

We don't mix The fertilizer and seed. Two passes over every plot each fall. Then a quick rinse wit fresh water after spreading seed and let it dry in the sun. Follow that up with a liberal spray with WD-40 and store in a shipping container till next year.

One of these days that little spinner motor is bound to die, until then.......
Thanks. You have definitely got your money's worth out of it. That may be the way I go. I am looking forward to trying T&M.