Eight fall and winter plots in two days

tjgregory

I played assistant land manager for the past two days to my granddad, Bushhog Bob, as we put in a total of eight food plots at our farm for the fall and winter seasons. We used various seeds that included Wrens Abruzzi Rye grain, generic cereal rye, Austrian winter peas, Durana clover, and Pennington Rackmaster deluxe fall mix. Fertilizers dispersed included 0-20-20, 6-12-12, 15-15-15, and 19-19-19. We had put out lime ahead of seeding and fertilizing.

Day one consisted of four small plots. Bushhog Bob turned up the ground with his cutting harrow and I followed him around in our UTV laden with seed, fertilizers, and one each chest and shoulder spreaders. Bushhog then made another circuit to cut in the granules and seeds that I had broadcast, and I made my second circuit with a double-roller cultipacker in tow to smooth out the broken ground.

Here is Bushhog Bob cutting up one of the small plots. His favorite ladder stand is about fifty yards behind where tractor is positioned and we put a little more product and care into this one:
1633220698882.jpeg

Here is a picture of the side-by-side with a double-roller cultipacker hooked-up, and a freshly packed plot in the background:
1633221098995.jpeg

Bushhog Bob atop his 1999 Ford New Holland at a completed rye and clover plot:
1633221538347.jpeg

Here is a stone point that Bushhog found in the dirt on Friday afternoon. It is one of many arrowheads that we have found over the years on the farm, indications that our land has been a good place to hunt throughout time:
1633224969384.jpeg

Day two had us working on larger plots in a similar style rotation with Bushhog on the tractor/disc and me spreading fertilizer and seed, not with yesterday’s spreaders, but with our brand new pull-behind funnel spreader. Shame on me for not getting a photo of this time-saving star of the show that will enhance our food plotting from now on. Once I completed the spreader work, I switched it off for the cultipacker. Bushhog and I finished up the day both pulling cultipackers.

Cutting up a large plot on Saturday morning:
1633222742824.jpeg

Cultipacking a plot that is sandwiched between two established clover plots:
1633222852441.jpeg

Some of Saturday’s finished products:
1633223280700.jpeg

1633223394067.jpeg

1633223468255.jpeg

Now we wait for rain and for the firearms deer season to open. Rain is forecast to come in tonight and will hang around for several days, so we hope that we planned everything right. Bushhog Bob will soon trade his tractor seat for the seat of a Millennium ladder stand that is twenty-one feet high, and I will hang a climber or two. Then we will wait for falling leaves and frosty mornings.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Nice looking plots and no better way to spend a weekend with your granddad !

Latest posts