Tag for UTV in GA *law change?*

buckpasser

Anyone have any info on the coming policy change? I heard about it through a friend, and there is some info online, but hoping someone here knows more. I called my tag office and it goes into effect 7/1, but they said they wouldn’t be “sorted out” until around October.

The amendment mentions low speed vehicles and multipurpose vehicles with off-road use. I’m not clear on exactly what they are going for, but would love to be able to tag my fully insured Roxor.

ryanh487

Haven't heard anything about that. I know there are ways to make a utv street legal and get it tagged, and a lot of cities allow golf carts and utvs in city limits with an inspection and tag.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
It’s a can of worms. AR did it for years. You couldn’t have your ATV on any roads or trails without a DNR sticker. It’s revenue generator. Teen agers ripping around subdivisions in UTVs isn’t something desirable to me. Got too many little guys out playing.

buckpasser

It’s a can of worms. AR did it for years. You couldn’t have your ATV on any roads or trails without a DNR sticker. It’s revenue generator. Teen agers ripping around subdivisions in UTVs isn’t something desirable to me. Got too many little guys out playing.

Where I live (on a county line) both counties are friendly towards UTV’s on the highways. This is rural GA and there isn’t really a problem as far as I can tell. It would be nice to have a tag on my Roxor so that I could go into other counties without hassle.

This is one of the very rare instances I would volunteer some tax money.

1md2b

When I was living in Arizona our ATVs and side by side were street legal. Had to have a tag, insurance, etc. Moved back here to Georgia and tried to get a tag for my kawasaki mule but it was a no go. They said I couldn't get one for it. I found the following forum (listed below) that details how some guys have been getting around the street legal lingo in order to ride their side by sides on the street. And these guys are ridng around in Marietta, not some rural highway. I printed off all the legal documents they have listed on the following link and keep them in my glovebox with my insurance. Ive been ridden down to the stores in Bolingbroke and down to the Publix off Bass rd here in Macon. Haven't been pulled over yet so I don't have any interactions with the police that I can say whether the documents will suffice or not. Might be something that at least gives you some information going forward. https://www.rzrforums.net/threads/street-legal-in-ga-this-is-the-law-i-think-we-have-it.23157/

AGray

Has anyone heard any updates? I have spoken to several counties and they have no idea what’s going on.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
At the very end of the bill it states that these vehicles can only operate on roads with a posted speed limit of 35 mph or less.