Tahoe sunroof question

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Please bear with me. Several weeks ago a large limb fell on my wife's Tahoe, bending the roof right at the rear of the sunroof. We got the estimates & chose a repair shop. Highly recommended shop.
They completed the repair & seemed to do a good job
Today my wife had the sunroof cracked open. It began to rain & she closed it but noticed water still dripping in. When I got home she backed it out of the carport & showed me (still raining). I could see water dripping inside, but not coming inside the cab.
I googled it & learned that sunroofs apparently aren't completely sealed, but the water runs through drains & out of the vehicle.
Is this right?

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Please bear with me. Several weeks ago a large limb fell on my wife's Tahoe, bending the roof right at the rear of the sunroof. We got the estimates & chose a repair shop. Highly recommended shop.
They completed the repair & seemed to do a good job
Today my wife had the sunroof cracked open. It began to rain & she closed it but noticed water still dripping in. When I got home she backed it out of the carport & showed me (still raining). I could see water dripping inside, but not coming inside the cab.
I googled it & learned that sunroofs apparently aren't completely sealed, but the water runs through drains & out of the vehicle.
Is this right?

To the best of my limited knowledge, yes. Owned several vehicle with sunroofs. Common problem from leakage is the drain is plugged. Blow out with a air compressor.

4HAND

Staff member
I don't think drains are plugged. It's not coming in to the interior, but with the inside roof visor thing open you can see water dripping at back of sunroof. I guess it travels through drain channels & out.
I've just never noticed that the sunroof itself isn't completely sealed?
My wife wouldn't have noticed if the sunroof hadn't been partially open when it began to rain.
I hope this makes sense.

NOYDB

BANNED
The drains can plug at any time. Beware any time there is heavy pollen and avoid pine needles. Drains can be rubber tubes to route the water out. Most shops have the procedure to blow then out down pat and often will do it for free.

Sometimes they can forget to hook up the drain tube after a repair is done. It's the last step and often forgotten.

4HAND

Staff member
It's too dark now but tomorrow I'll take a pic of the area that was slightly dripping & post it. Thanks for responding.

4HAND

Staff member
I know this isn't a very good pic, but I'm pointing to where the dripping was. It wasn't dripping down inside the cab. It was dripping around the edge of where sunroof meets roof, between the roof & ceiling. Screenshot_20190802-072717_Gallery.jpg

bany

They aren’t water proof at all.
You may have cracked drain channel.
The outer seal doesn’t stop all the water. They put a gutter type tray around them and have two or four drain tubes. The track isn’t sealed either. Mine leaks too much and while inspecting it I found a hole in the plastic channel right at both front drain ports. My drain tubes are not plugged so I’m guessing it’s a poor mold design.

4HAND

Staff member
They aren’t water proof at all.

That was my question. Is the sunroof completely waterproof or is it normal for water to drip in. Again, there is no water coming into the cabin. The water is apparently draining out as designed.
I think it was repaired correctly. I think it's always allowed water to come in & drain out, I had just never noticed it until after the repair.
However, you can see oval holes in the roof in pic. I'm thinking there may be a rubber piece/trim that "snaps" in there they forgot to put back?

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
The sunroof should be a complete unit, meant there shouldn’t be a gasket on it to forget to install. They do leak, I despise them and didn’t enjoy repairing/replacing them during my body shop days. So long as it’s not entering the cab you should be good to go. Just make sure the drains stay clean as mentioned.
If the sheet metal around the closed sunroof is even and uniform it should be sealed as good as it can be.
Did the shop repair or replace the roof?

4HAND

Staff member
I looked at my cousin's Tahoe. Same year. Her's looks the same. I was wrong where I thought there might be a missing gasket or seal.
We're not gonna worry about unless it starts coming inside.
Thanks everyone for the help!