taking your kid pistol shooting

GunnSmokeer

So, you'd like to take your kid shooting.
You'll shoot a rifle, and a pistol.
Your kid wants to bring a friend.
You call the parents of that friend and they say it's OK.
So you take the boys to your huntin' club land and go to the little shooting / sighting in area y'all have there, and start banging away.

This is all legal, right?

Right?

(right?)

NOPE.

Let's start with the general rule that person under 18 can't even possess or have under their control any handgun. Code section 16-11-132.
And it's also a crime for an adult to supply a handgun to a minor. Code section 16-11-101.1

So, aren't there exceptions for parents taking kids target shooting?

Well.... there's no exception for recreational fun shooting, like plinking, or casual target shooting that's not part of a formal, official match. UNLESS the fun shooting is taking place at an established gun range that is "authorized by" the County or City (as applicable). So unless that hunting club had its little sighting-in range inspected by the local building inspector and code enforcement division of the government and got written approval to operate a range there.... the "target shooting" exception won't apply.

What about that exception for learning firearms safety?
There IS such an exception, but it only applies to persons enrolled in a hunter education course or firearms safety course. Not just getting a lesson in how guns work, taught by your dad or your friend's dad. That's not a "course."

Finally, there's an exception for when the kid possesses a handgun "on the real property under the control of such person's parent or legal guardian, or grandparent."
That would apply if the real property (land) was owned by the dad, and it would allow his kid to shoot there. But the friend of that boy isn't any blood relation to the man. So that "your dad or granddad owns the land" can't apply to the friend, AND I don't think it applies to anybody here in this scenario, because it's the hunting club that owns and controls the land. The Dad only has a license as a Club member to use it. He's not in legal control of it, like an owner or lease holder.

So... we have a situation where the Dad could be charged with a felony and both boys sent off to juvenile court. Unless they're 17 years old, in which case they could also be charged with adult-level felony crimes.

If you think this is ridiculous, contact the the NRA, GCO, GSSA, or directly reach out to your representatives in the General Assembly.

This is a ridiculous law that needs to be seriously amended to make it less hazardous for responsible adults to take kids shooting.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Hmm! Never knew that. I wonder if it's ever been enforced

T-N-T

I broke the law a few times as a lad. As did my father.
I'm a better man for it in the end.

Luckybuck

Wow, I never knew that either. When I grew up my parents, grand parents, uncles, ect ect could all have been locked up based on this as I kept the birds out of our crops with rifles, shotguns, pistols you name it .

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
This country has gotten to politically correct. My dad has told me him and his buddies used to carry their .22 rifle to school and hunt squirrels on the way home. Teacher only required they be unloaded and kept in a corner of the classroom. That law needs to be changed

GoldDot40

I can assure you my 13 year old daughter knows how to handle/shoot a 9mm pistol. If she had to defend herself, I'd feel better about her handling a handgun vs my shotgun. She knows how to draw a bead and pull the trigger repeatedly until it quits going bang.

My dad had us shooting every gun he owned before we even took the hunters safety course. Pistols, shotguns, rifles, muzzle loaders...you name it. No different with my daughters.

tree cutter 08

I never got a law book. Do they send them out each year? On a serious note, I would be hesitant on letting the friend shoot. Now my own kids, they have been shooting before they could ride a bike.

GunnSmokeer

When I take kids shooting, MY pistols aren't easy to hide!
I'm 100% in control of them, standing within arm's reach of the kids / beginners as they handle them and take aim.
I'm not going to give a kid, even my own kid, a handgun to keep on his or her own and say "here, this is yours. Have fun with it, but don't bring it to school."