Taylor County

leadoff

GONetwork Member
Any updates?

How was opening day for the bow hunters?

CGriggs

Great Opening Weekend:

I didn't get to hunt Saturday morning, but Saturday evening I got to see a 12 year old sling an arrow over a doe's back, then about 20 minutes later he got to see a 37 year old sling an arrow over a doe's back....we both struck out, but had a great time. That was the only deer seen Saturday. This morning I was alone on a white oak covered ridge bordering a 3 year old clear cut and had a very nice 8 pt at 20 yards, but never got a clear shot. He finally winded me and eased away. He wasn't too alarmed, and I hope I will see him again soon!
The 12 year old was hunting near by, and slung another arrow, again over her back. Maybe next weekend!!

denny

Leadoff, only hunted Sat. morning for about two hours. Spent three days planting food plots. You can see one six acre plot we planted on the power line @137 west of town. The two hour hunt was exciting though, as i walked to my stand in the dark, a deer jumped across the road about 60 yards ahead of me. About five seconds later,i hear leaves crunching to my left. It was a coyote and he was about 10 yards from me and still walking at me. I stomped my foot and it ran off. As it ran, I could hear a couple more scamper off with it. I continued to walk down the road and hear noise again, look over and its another coyote and it is black. Stomped my foot again and it took off with a couple more with it. These coyote were after that deer. If I had an arrow nocked I am sure one would have been stuck. Never saw anything else while in the stand.
Cgriggs, good luck on getting that boy a deer.

leadoff

GONetwork Member
I planned on working on getting some more tower stands on our property, but Frances had other plans. Spent last weekend cleaning up around the house. I was going to clear the four trees that fell around my place when Frances came through, but now I will just wait and clean them up with the mess that Ivan is bound to make!

I checked my trail cam last week and had a full roll! I managed to expose half the roll, though!!! I have only had one picture of a buck so far--a little six point. I am getting a bit worried. I haven't been seeing the eight point from last year. He was a camera ham last year, and now he is nowhere to be found? ::huh: I guess he knows I was letting him grow one more year, and his time is now up! ;)

I am not a bow hunter, so I will have to wait a few more weeks! Good luck to you both, CG and Denny. PM me next time you will be down this way!

CGriggs

Got a chance to go down this weekend, but hunting was a little tough. A few deer seen, but none taken. I did get a big 'ole coyote though. Hit him at 52 yards and knocked him a flip. My first coyote with a bow. Saw alot of sign....whiteoaks are everywhere, and falling. (I was afraid they were all blown out of the trees from all the wind). I won't be back down until opening day of firearms season....Can't Wait!