Technical Question for the Knife Makers/Scrimshaw related

Bkeepr

Would it be worth my while to invest in a vacuum stabilizer type thingie to stabilize materials such as antler and bone for scrimshaw? I saw one on sale in a catalog for just about what my Georgia tax refund will be! Looked like a pressure canner to me only with more gauges. So far I've been fine just using super glue...smear it on, let dry, sand it down and repeat. TIA

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I can't help with your question but I would love to see some of your work. If you have a website, would you add a link to it to your profile page there it is not considered "advertising" as members can go look only if they want to.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
I do stabilizing..wood is the only thing I use it for. Do you have questions about the process?

Anvil Head

Kathy, not seen much success with stabilized ivory or dense bone. Anything I've used that was porus enough to need stabilizing wound up as pretty poor media for scrim and not much better for carving.
By the way, got some more old piano keys for you if you're coming to the Guild meeting or Blade Show. Let me know.

ol bob

I stabilized for a good while, I never had any luck with bone or ivory, I think you have to have a system where you put it under high pressure, way to expensive for DIY.

Bkeepr

Kathy, not seen much success with stabilized ivory or dense bone. Anything I've used that was porus enough to need stabilizing wound up as pretty poor media for scrim and not much better for carving.
By the way, got some more old piano keys for you if you're coming to the Guild meeting or Blade Show. Let me know.
Thanks Carl you just saved me about $300. Old piano keys...yes! I'm probably not going to Blade show due to not buying a ticket and working that weekend, will have to see.

Anvil Head

Just when ever. Keep it in mind for next time we get together and remind me. Got a bunch.