"Tending Like"

olcaptain

1.jpg

As the tall man eased his almost 70-year-old, 290-pound frame into his beloved 17 ft canoe an almost instant transformation began to take place. Even though his right shoulder ached at night and his knees were unforgiving, after a few pulls of the paddle he slipped into his “tending like” mode. As a child, the kids over the fence in his neighborhood would pretend that their Swingset was a Rocket Ship. The Rocket Ship might then become a Covered Wagon heading west or a famous train like the Silver Meteor heading up the Eastern Seaboard. These kids never “pretended.” They “tended like.” For instance, they might say “Let’s tend like we are riding this train all the way to Washington DC.”
The tall man also loved to tend like. Today he might be Lewis and/or Clark. Tomorrow he may be the Last of the Mohicans or Pasquinel from the Centennial Series. But in either case at least for an hour or two the years, the pain, and the pounds seemed to temporarily disappear. One of the highlights of the old man’s week was running his Trail Cameras on Crooked Creek. Each camera was strategically placed where animals had come and gone and where the man could get to them without having to pull his long and now large frame out of the canoe. Growing up in the city didn’t give this man an opportunity to see a lot of wildlife so when he “tends like” a Bobcat is a Leopard or a Lion on the Serengeti he hopes you’ll understand. Can an Otter really become a Wolverine? Can a Beaver transform into a small Buffalo? Can a Whitetail Deer really become an Antelope?
1b.JPG
9.jpg

3.JPG

As you look at today’s Crooked Creek Critters why not relax and tend like you are on board with the Ol Captain slipping silently up the Nile. If you are fortunate, you may see a Crocodile or a Hippo. But be warned. You won’t see much out of the ordinary if you are not willing to “tend like” a little bit yourself!
4b.jpg
12.jpg

7.JPG

20.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Great stuff, both the story and the pics! I always look forward to your next post, and love being able to live the Crooked Creek life vicariously through your writings. Keep on 'tending down there!

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Hillbilly, I agree as I also look forward to getting a good dose of "Crooked Creek" medicine from the Captain. I might be "mad" at the world about something that has gone wrong in my daily life and business BUT when I read and see all of the beauty of the Caption's World, it is amazing how quickly that it relaxes me and changes my bad attitude against the world happenings. I grew up reading the Reader's Digest as my Mother had a subscription for 50 plus years and it had a section in it called, "Laughter Is The Best Medicine" and it always made me laugh. Well, the Captain also has a great book of sorts called, "Crooked Creek Is The Best Medicine" !!!

Thanks Captain for your wonderful influence on my life.

alwayslookin

Enjoyed the read and pics!

I grew up on a lake and tended a jon boat or a canoe for many many hours when I was young. Fishing the lake and exploring the woods was my happy place back then and I reckon that hasn't changed much over the years.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I spent many a day up that creek as a youngster. It’s great to see that it’s still full of life. Thank you so much for your story and pictures.

tjchurch

Great story, great pictures as always. Thanks for sharing.