Thanksgiving discussion.

WaltL1

Wrong.

Hundreds of interpretations doesn’t mean hundreds of correct interpretations.
Or ANY correct interpretations for that matter.

WaltL1

Or……..they’re all wrong.
Yep.
Who knows? Maybe its all working exactly as intended and whatever it means to you/them/individuals is the right answer and there is no "wrong" answer.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Yep.
Who knows? Maybe its all working exactly as intended and whatever it means to you/them/individuals is the right answer and there is no "wrong" answer.
Well……between A/A’s and my wife I’ve come to realize I don’t know much lol :bounce:

Speaking of wife - I probably got cast out of the other A after going through a divorce and getting remarried last year. But…….life is good now :rockon:

WaltL1

Well……between A/A’s and my wife I’ve come to realize I don’t know much lol :bounce:

Speaking of wife - I probably got cast out of the other A after going through a divorce and getting remarried last year. But…….life is good now :rockon:
I didnt realize you had gotten remarried! Congratulations! I knew you had a girlfriend but didnt know you made it all legal like.
I wish you a long life of happiness together.
Ive considered remarriage a few times but Im still traumatized from the first one :bounce:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I didnt realize you had gotten remarried! Congratulations! I knew you had a girlfriend but didnt know you made it all legal like.
I wish you a long life of happiness together.
Ive considered remarriage a few times but Im still traumatized from the first one :bounce:
lol I married my first wife …….twice!!!!! Talk about trauma lol

Thanks!!! Had to make it legal…….too many posts about fornication facepalm: :rofl:

oldfella1962

Wrong.

Hundreds of interpretations doesn’t mean hundreds of correct interpretations.
Wrong to my wrong! :LOL: I didn't say that any of the interpretations were correct. But all the interpretations have the same utility in that they bolster the faith - or the motivations - or the belief - of the Christians choosing any particular interpretation. And yes, these different interpretations can divide
Christianity to various degrees. Some Biblical interpretations are pretty significant - for example, "annihilation" versus eternal punishment. It doesn't get much more significant than that, but there are minor interpretations that are very nuanced and would only be a matter of discussion for the clergy or scholars. But what would anybody expect from a collection of 66 books? And even the number of books differs according to what denomination of Christianity we are talking about. That is a lot of information, and nobody really knows for sure what is literal, what is myth, what is allegory, etcetera.

oldfella1962

I am missing the obvious. If someone is grateful, then to whom are they grateful, especially if they profess to not believe in a “higher power “.
Here are some dictionary examples of what the word means. But in my own words, I am "grateful" to whatever unknown winds of chance blew me into a favorable position. :)

Examples of grateful in a Sentence​

The voice quacking at the other end of the line sounded surprised and grateful—a young man's eager voice, thankful for the sudden interruption on an otherwise empty afternoon.—Paul Theroux, Granta, Summer 1992

I didn't have to be in love with the man to do this, and my poor body'd probably be grateful to get fed, since it'd been on such a starvation diet.—Terry McMillan, Waiting to Exhale, 1992

Sergeant James Smith was a company clerk, which meant that he carried his commander's maps, Edwards was grateful to learn.—Tom Clancy, Red Storm Rising, 1986

adjective
  1. warmly or deeply appreciative of kindness or benefits received; thankful:I am grateful to you for your help.
  2. expressing or actuated by gratitude:a grateful letter.

ambush80

I am missing the obvious. If someone is grateful, then to whom are they grateful, especially if they profess to not believe in a “higher power “.
I still say "Thank God!!!" as a cultural artifice. In my case "god" seems to be a synonym for "My lucky stars", sometimes I say "Thank Zeus". It's like a placeholder for "the unknown".

oldfella1962

I still say "Thank God!!!" as a cultural artifice. In my case "god" seems to be a synonym for "My lucky stars", sometimes I say "Thank Zeus". It's like a placeholder for "the unknown".
I say "God forbid X happens!" out of habit - and "God bless you" when people sneeze just because it's pretty much a culturally expected thing to say.

ambush80

I wonder if a Christian would say "A salam alaikum" if they were in a Muslim country as a cultural courtesy. I wouldn't mind using a cultural religious greeting most times.

660griz

Yea. I sometimes out of habit say "Bless you" when someone sneezes. Even though I know the soul is not escaping through the sneeze.

oldfella1962

Yea. I sometimes out of habit say "Bless you" when someone sneezes. Even though I know the soul is not escaping through the sneeze.
I hate when my soul escapes through my sneeze! :mad: Seriously though, I never knew that people really thought this.

Latest posts