The Bible -- Redux

Diogenes

Banned
I’ve been away on business for a bit, and I’ve noticed that the Bible II thread is also missing, replaced by Bible III, praising the glories of agreement . . . HMMMM . . . . . But I had a bit more to say on that Bible II thread, and since it is nowhere to be found, with your kind permission I’ll say my bit here . . .

Unfortunately, as the niggling continues over just which words may or may not have been changed in this Book or that of the NT, the point is missed.

It is always deliberate, of course, for the self-described ‘Defenders of the Faith’ to set a rhetorical brushfire as a distraction from the actual point at hand, but our attention is not so easily diverted.

Notwithstanding what can only be described as the chronic narcissism that makes it impossible for some to see or understand anything that is not what they wish to see or believe, the history is quite clear. Odd little distractions, fits of pique aimed at deleting entire lines of thought, and sophomoric verbal tricks are the stock-in-trade of Democrats, you will notice, and won’t win the day.

I did not say that any particular bit of ‘Scripture’ was revised or rewritten “at the Council of Nicea.” As has been pointed out, the Official Agenda of that Council (though murky, nefarious, and wholly revisionist in intent) did not include the actual writing of ‘Scripture.’ That had already been done for them. Officially, they were far more concerned with marginalizing the Eastern Bishops by exclusion and physically eliminating dissenting thought. (Sound familiar?)

Constantine had his own agenda, however, and had spent ten years creating a mountain of fictitious ‘authentication’ to back it up. Having assembled the bulk of the Western ‘Bishops’ at this Council, he essentially turned the situation into a hostage crisis at the point of his sword -- here Constantine gave each a simple choice, which was to ratify his version and swear an oath, or be banished or killed outright. After the few leaders of the opposition suffered just such fates, it took no time at all for the rest of the assembly to see the light.

You see, it isn’t that Eusebius spent ten years carefully rewriting each of the ‘Books’ that were to make up the NT (though no small number of what we will charitably call ‘translation errors’ certainly occurred), but rather that he spent that time sifting through hundreds of equally credible accounts, Gospels, and ‘Divinely Inspired’ writings and decided to throw most of them away out of fear for his life if he upset the nutball Emperor by including them. ‘Authenticity’ was what Constantine decided it was. Period.

The Gospel of Thomas? (Poof.) The Gospel of Mary Magdalene? (Poof.) Hundreds of contemporaneous writings were put to the flame (Sound familiar?) Anyone found in possession of these writings was executed. This is why archeologists find the few writings that remain buried in caves and the like – wise people hide books from madmen who seek to burn not only the books but those who own them.

The revision was not done so much by editing individual sentences. It was done by forcibly eliminating entire works and killing anyone associated with them. (Sound familiar?)

Knowing this to be true, and knowing that it is equally true of certain ideological movements even today, we are forced into a difficult but hardly unique need to make a set of ethical and value decisions. Here, allow me to make a parallel – when we see a News Story, and know that a great deal was left out quite deliberately, in order to serve the political aims of the reporting parties in question, we must conclude that this act of willful omission betrays any smug, sanctimonious declarations by journalists concerning their ‘objectivity.’

Similarly, when we know that certain works were chosen, by men, to be included in the ‘Book’ while others were not, we are forced to conclude that the ‘Divine Word Of God’ is actually somewhat less than that. The wholesale burning of disagreement and the ‘justifiable’ murder of dissenters betrays any possibility that the final work might have anything to do with anything other than the agendas of men. What is included may well be, in some instances, ‘contemporaneous,’ and some bits may well represent the opinions and thoughts of actual people – but the fact remains that the works is incomplete, and deliberately so by the hand of man.

One might also note that several books of the NT are of unattributed authorship, and present themselves as compilations of thoughts.

(And, as has just been demonstrated – the heavy hand of dictatorship which will only tolerate one way of thinking has the ability – temporarily – to delete our words, but not our thoughts. So the idea of creating a singular viewpoint by eliminating others is hardly unprecedented, and given the lack of success such a strategy has enjoyed throughout history it is truly odd that some attempt to employ it even today . . . )

There are worse prisons than words (the assembled ‘bishops’ obviously decided), and worse tragedies than sacrificing one’s life and mind to words. But there might be no worse prison and no worse tragedy than ignorance – than blindly following words simply because you were told to do so, without ever questioning them. That is a betrayal of yourself.

I have said that I consider organized religions to be evil, in large part because they are completely constructed by men with the intention of controlling other men. But read carefully here, lest you mishear the message – the religious person, the individual, who follows a religion with benign intent, hoping only to do well and lead a moral life is handed a ‘Get Out Of Jail Free’ card. Those who become zealots, and bomb abortion clinics or become suicide bombers or assassinate rivals in the name of their ‘religious convictions’ are the shining exemplars of what is wrong with organized belief.

Evil presupposes a moral decision, intention, and forethought. Most people do not stop to think or to reason – they simply follow because they were taught to do so. Few of the individuals, even among the zealots, qualify as evil people – their leaders, on the other hand, fit the bill. Our world is filled with tragedies wrought by the blind following of words.

A thoughtful person, should one exist, might see the history of the world revealed here in a microcosm, and might be disturbed by the parallel . . .

Last edited:

WTM45

Dio, I deleted the second thread which I started, as I felt the discussion could move along much better with original posts and material vs. re-quoting.

There was so much good discussion material in the original thread I wish I could have copied all of it.

BANDERSNATCH

The Gospel of Thomas? (Poof.) The Gospel of Mary Magdalene? (Poof.) Hundreds of contemporaneous writings were put to the flame (Sound familiar?)

Sigh. Naivety.

I never read long posts, (well, almost never) but these words jumped out at me....

I love how you throw the word 'contemporaneous' in there when you know yourself that almost no biblical scholar places them in the first century...and especially not pre-AD70.

Contemporaneous. :rofl: These gospels were never canon material.

On that note....I was thinking about the canon...and how most of our NT books have been included in every list.

Luke's writings were in every collection....and most of Paul's epistles. Read them with full confidence that they were authoritative and canonical. :) Early, apostle-qualified...undisputed.

Luke 1:1 Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us, 2 Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word; 3 It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus, 4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Last edited:

Israel

BANNED
Jesus never spoke to the group.
Jesus speaks to him who has ears to hear.
It is/was not his intention to do anything other than draw men to God through himself. He never looked for the comfort of agreement with himself...as we are wont to do.
Indeed he put that to death, by vehemently denying it in his own person, resisting steadfastly any and every attempt he could have made to save his life and draw men to his own side.
You only think you hate men's organized religions...wait till you see Jesus.
You have yet to see the one who could have easily (and with infinitely greater eloquence and intelligence) cut your deal with the world but instead chose shame, ridicule, abandonment and the scorn of the many who even once followed in order to be the true and faithful witness of what is.
The wink wink, nod nod and backslapping ease of the mutual admiration societies that have sprung up using his name are only a testimony of the last bit of undispelled darkness that is soon to be consumed in total light at his appearing.
Make no mistake, he who is coming, will come, and will not delay.
Men gather together to fight the execution of their rightful sentence.
It is to no avail.

jmharris23

Jesus never spoke to the group.
Jesus speaks to him who has ears to hear.
It is/was not his intention to do anything other than draw men to God through himself. He never looked for the comfort of agreement with himself...as we are wont to do.
Indeed he put that to death, by vehemently denying it in his own person, resisting steadfastly any and every attempt he could have made to save his life and draw men to his own side.
You only think you hate men's organized religions...wait till you see Jesus.
You have yet to see the one who could have easily (and with infinitely greater eloquence and intelligence) cut your deal with the world but instead chose shame, ridicule, abandonment and the scorn of the many who even once followed in order to be the true and faithful witness of what is.
The wink wink, nod nod and backslapping ease of the mutual admiration societies that have sprung up using his name are only a testimony of the last bit of undispelled darkness that is soon to be consumed in total light at his appearing.
Make no mistake, he who is coming, will come, and will not delay.
Men gather together to fight the execution of their rightful sentence.
It is to no avail.

Amen!:clap:

gtparts

It seems to come down to personal perspective. If original to him, Dio prefers to "tint" history with a most negative bias towards the first Christian emperor of Rome.

Where Dio and others of his ilk see conspiracy of men, it is also reasonable for many to see a jealous God, using Eusebius, Constantine, the Council of Nicea, and the Roman government to purge the singular works of men from those He authored by inspiration of His chosen scribes.

Too often men on both sides of a question are reduced to gagging at gnats, yet swallowing camels in one bolt....and with an appreciative belch.;)

Huntinfool

Dio, I deleted the second thread which I started, as I felt the discussion could move along much better with original posts and material vs. re-quoting.

There was so much good discussion material in the original thread I wish I could have copied all of it.

Yeh....and I'm STILL upset with you about that! I had a dang good post in that thread! :D

BANDERSNATCH

Good thing there are those on here who can present the facts when others distort and present false information. :cool:

Huntinfool

Dio....

I just wanted to say that you're funny. You're kind of growing on me.

Huntinfool

Either way....

One thing that I do know is that I've grown since I first stumbled upon this section of the forum a while back.

I would have been all over Dio like white on rice back then. Now....well I just feel heartbroken for him.

Y'all carry on. Emotional moment over!

BANDERSNATCH

I'm sure we've heard the last of the 'changed scripture' argument at least. I believe they've learned not to bring it up if they can't back it up! :)

Always good to clean up confusion and disinformation.

centerpin fan

I’ve been away on business for a bit, .

I find this difficult to believe. My guess is you’re a high school junior with a penchant for conspiracy theories and a lot of time on your hands. However, I ask myself, “Can an ego this immense really have developed in only 17 years?”

… the chronic narcissism that makes it impossible for some to see or understand anything that is not what they wish to see or believe,

Maybe you should also apply this to yourself, as well.

I did not say that any particular bit of ‘Scripture’ was revised or rewritten “at the Council of Nicea.” As has been pointed out, the Official Agenda of that Council (though murky, nefarious, and wholly revisionist in intent) did not include the actual writing of ‘Scripture.’ .

Actually, I think that’s what you’ve been implying all along. You’re only backtracking now because you got called on it. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt, though.

Officially, they were far more concerned with marginalizing the Eastern Bishops by exclusion and physically eliminating dissenting thought. (Sound familiar?)

Constantine had his own agenda, however, and had spent ten years creating a mountain of fictitious ‘authentication’ to back it up. Having assembled the bulk of the Western ‘Bishops’ at this Council, he essentially turned the situation into a hostage crisis at the point of his sword -- here Constantine gave each a simple choice, which was to ratify his version and swear an oath, or be banished or killed outright. After the few leaders of the opposition suffered just such fates, it took no time at all for the rest of the assembly to see the light.

Just. Plain. Wrong.

If you can’t get a simple fact like this right, why should anybody pay attention to anything else you say? And this is not an innocent mistake on your part. As Bandy noted in another thread, you’re just copying and pasting (practically verbatim) from this crazy site:

http://www.mountainman.com.au/essenes/Council of Nicaea.htm

Compare your statement with this:

Firstly it should be noted that it mentions no bishops of the east. All the bishops mentioned in the letter, are those who have been cooped up in the western empire with Constantine for the last 10 years … (From the section called “Constantine’s Summons to the Attendees of Nicaea”.) You also quoted this (again, almost word-for-word) in the original “Bible” thread.

As I said in that thread, the vast majority of the bishops were from the east. This makes perfect sense since:

Nicea was in the east.
Constantine was in the east.
At least half the bishops of the time were in the east.

Also (as I said before), see Philip Schaff’s “History of the Christian Church, Vol. III, Sect. 120. According to Schaff, “Most of the Eastern provinces were strongly represented; the Latin church, on the contrary, had only seven delegates”.

And see this passage from Constantine and the Conversion of Europe by A.H.M Jones (Chapter 10):

The response to the Emperor's invitation from
the West was negligible; the points at issue were of
no interest to Western bishops, and for the most
part unintelligible to them, and not even the offer
of a free journey to the imperial court tempted
them.
The bishop of Rome excused himself on the
grounds of age and ill-health, but sent two deacons
to represent him. The only Italian bishop who
attended was Marcus of Calabria. Gaul and the Illy-
rian provinces were represented by one bishop each.
From Africa came Caecilian of Carthage, who was
evidently anxious to confirm his title to his see by
obtaining tacit or explicit recognition by the great
Council. From Britain and from Spain there came
no representatives; Hosius of Corduba attended, but
as the Emperor's ecclesiastical adviser, in which
capacity he took precedence over the delegates of
the Pope.

The great bulk of the Council came from the
Greek-speaking provinces of the empire.
Among the
signatories nineteen are Egyptian bishops, twenty-
five from the provinces of the East, and over a hun-
dred from Asia Minor; the Greek-speaking provinces
of Europe are more sparsely represented by eleven bishops. The leading scholars and theologians of
the East were all present,
men such as the two
Eusebii, of Caesarea and of Nicomedia, Alexander of
Alexandria, Marcellus of Ancyra, Eustathius of
Antioch, Paulinus of Tyre.

If they had held the council in Toledo (Spain), the reverse situation would have been true. Read actual church history (instead of crazy conspiracy theory websites) and you won’t make factual errors like this. Also, familiarize yourself with a compass and a good map.

Eusebius … spent that time sifting through hundreds of equally credible accounts, Gospels, and ‘Divinely Inspired’ writings and decided to throw most of them away out of fear for his life if he upset the nutball Emperor by including them. ‘Authenticity’ was what Constantine decided it was. Period.

The Gospel of Thomas? (Poof.) The Gospel of Mary Magdalene? (Poof.) Hundreds of contemporaneous writings were put to the flame (Sound familiar?) Anyone found in possession of these writings was executed. This is why archeologists find the few writings that remain buried in caves and the like – wise people hide books from madmen who seek to burn not only the books but those who own them.

OK, altogether this time: Just. Plain. Wrong.

In your view of “history”, you seem to believe that, after the Apostles died, a kind of “mini Dark Ages” resulted. This lasted through the 4th century until Constantine decided to “reinvent” Christianity to his liking. In reality, the church had rejected these spurious gospels and other writings long before the 4th century. For example:

St. Irenaeus, writing in the 2nd century, stated that there were …. four gospels.

Tertullian, writing in the late 2nd/early 3rd centuries, stated that there were …. four gospels.

Tatian (2nd century) wrote the Diatessaron, which was a harmony of the … four gospels.

Origen, possibly the greatest intellect of his day, wrote in the 3rd century that there were …. four gospels.

As for the rest of the NT, the canon was largely finalized in the second century. Only a few books (most notably Revelation) remained in question after that.

The revision was not done so much by editing individual sentences. It was done by forcibly eliminating entire works and killing anyone associated with them. (Sound familiar?)

Yes, it sounds exactly like every other conspiracy theory I’ve ever seen.

(And, as has just been demonstrated…

All you’ve demonstrated is:

a) You can’t tell east from west and
b) You’re completely uninformed on the writings of Irenaeus, Ignatius, Clement of Rome, Clement of Alexandria, Justin Martyr, Tatian, Tertullian, Polycarp, Origen, etc.

On the other hand, your “cut and paste” skills are outstanding.

WTM45

Eusabius clearly noted blatant differences found in the most widely known variations of the four letters of the Gospels. He had the ear of Constantine I. It is well documented.
Missing sections of the book of Mark as one example.

There were MANY Gospel variations in the timeframe leading up to the Council and Constantine's influence. Stating otherwise is not historically factual.

The West came to some concensus AFTER Nicea in the fourth century. The East did not come to concencus until the seventh century.

I suggest a little deeper research into the records and studies of the Catholic Church. They have much more detailed history that is not nearly as simplified as the Protestant apologetics tend to be.
The writings of Eusabius himself is a start.

Last edited:

centerpin fan

Eusabius clearly noted blatant differences found in the most widely known variations of the four letters of the Gospels. He had the ear of Constantine I. It is well documented.
Missing sections of the book of Mark as one example.

Nobody denies that there are differences in various manuscript copies. The vast majority of manuscripts are in agreement, however. They include sections such as the last part of Mark 16 and the “pericope de adultera” in John 8. Even if you removed these passages from all modern Bibles, it wouldn’t affect any doctrines.

There were MANY Gospel variations in the timeframe leading up to the Council and Constantine's influence. Stating otherwise is not historically factual.

Again, nobody denies that there are other gospel accounts. What I do deny is that the early church every considered them to be legitimate. Take the Gospel of Thomas, for example. None of the major 2nd or 3rd century fathers ever quoted from it or claimed it was a “true” gospel. Here’s Origen (3rd century) in his Homily on Luke:

'Many have taken in hand ' to write, but only four Gospels are recognized. From these the doctrines concerning the person of our Lord and Savior are to be derived. I know a certain gospel which is called 'The Gospel according to Thomas' and a 'Gospel according to Matthias', and many others have we read - lest we should in any way be considered ignorant because of those who imagine that they posses some knowledge if they are acquainted with these. Nevertheless, among all these we have approved solely what the Church has recognized, which is that only the four Gospels should be accepted.

The West came to some concensus AFTER Nicea in the fourth century. The East did not come to concencus until the seventh century.

Officially, yes. In the late 4th century, St. Athanasius listed the same 27 NT books that we have today. Unofficially, the 2nd and 3rd century church had already recognized at least 22 of the books.

I suggest a little deeper research into the records and studies of the Catholic Church.

That’s what I use. A lot of it is online. My church also has a pretty extensive library.

The writings of Eusabius himself is a start.

I read his History of the Church years ago and still refer back to it frequently. I’ve read portions of his Life of Constantine.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
You are a rather verbiose poster. ;)

...... This is why archeologists find the few writings that remain buried in caves and the like – wise people hide books from madmen who seek to burn not only the books but those who own them.
. . .

Ironically, scrolls have been found and archeological evidence exists, confirming some of the Deutercanonical (or Apocryphal) writings are in fact: Legitimate.

Other books have been found that reinforce the original writings of the Bible.