The Birthday, the Buff and the BBQ too!

olcaptain

Because it was Max’s Birthday I knew today was going to be very special. But little did I know when my big feet hit the floor at 5:00 AM this morning what all would unfold before we pulled back into the Captain’s Quarters around 8:00 PM this evening.

Tim “Cool Dad” Gill and I had such a good time a few weeks at Carter’s Re-reg Lake we decided to return today! Not only did we bring the birthday boy with us but we also invited Jim “Hatman” Hatter to join us as well.

Maximus Relaximus turned 7 years old today so I treated him to a new John Deere Collar and a dog tag bearing his name. You could tell by the way he carried himself today that he was obviously proud of his new hardware.
BirthdayCollar009-001_zps19bfe209.jpg

BirthdayCollar008-001_zps48b5bdd9.jpg

After a hardy breakfast in downtown White, Georgia we made our way north to the lake. In no time at all, Cool Dad was in his Carpin Kayak and “The Hatman”, the Hound and the Ol Captain were loaded up and on our way seeking a possible spot to pull up on in hopes of some Proper Pull Downs.

BirthdayCollar016_zps7ffca206.jpg

BirthdayCollar017_zps646d9e0b.jpg

When I first obtained the Carp Shark this past winter I had no idea how much “stuff” she’d carry nor did I even begin to realize the beauty that she would help bring our way.

BirthdayCollar014_zps7b4e08e5.jpg

BirthdayCollar030_zps15ed267d.jpg

It amazes me that we can load 800-900lbs or so in her 17 foot frame and she still glides through the water with ease……

BirthdayCollar057_zps362c0bf3.jpg

BirthdayCollar062_zpsae969a99.jpg

We finally launched and paddled along the bank seeking a suitable spot. Once we found one, we unloaded and got things set up and ready to go!

BirthdayCollar025_zpsd5e4d0fc.jpg

BirthdayCollar031_zps025f7e8e.jpg

We usually look for a spot where the water seems right and where we can be comfortable and get around and occasionally stretch our legs.

BirthdayCollar020_zpsd735e649.jpg

BirthdayCollar029_zps43d13a69.jpg

As most of you know, one of the most important themes that we have is our “Come see us” campaign. While many anglers want to hide ideas and not share a thing we welcome guests and visitors with open arms. For instance, not long before we arrived at the lake this morning we happened upon Derrick who posts as “Etoncathunter” on our GON Forum. We greeted Derrick, introduced him to The Carp Hound and soon he was on his way.

BirthdayCollar013_zps47fbd1d8.jpg

BirthdayCollar015_zps566de93d.jpg

It is always nice to meet new people and make new friends. But (change of direction) we were in the middle of nowhere today. We were surprised and pleased to meet Derrick but we had no idea that anyone else could even find us, let alone come see us! But that’s the way it is when you are Carpin’ with the Ol Captain. One minute you’re sitting there in a world of your own and the next minute you hear a burly Vietnam Vet coming up in a boat saying “Did you guys order Take Out?” Folks, If I’m lying I’m dying! Phil “nkbigdog” Leiter from the GON Forum met Derrick when he was at the boat ramp. Phil asked if he’d seen anyone along the bank with a long blue canoe. After Derrick shared that he had he brought Phil wielding some of the finest BBQ sandwiches back down the lake just to see us!!! We had met Phil back in Ellijay in December and he decided to come our way today and even brought some food!! Folks, it was wonderful!!

BirthdayCollar035_zps1fb7217d.jpg

BirthdayCollar037_zps08a82a44.jpg

Well by now you are probably saying “That is all mighty fine Captain, but did y’all catch any fish?” All I can say is I thought you’d never ask. Although Tim and I both caught fish on our last trip our rods were silent today. In fact, today was all about the Hatman!! Jim had never caught a “Buff” and that was one of his goals for this lake. Well, it is no longer a goal because today Jim’s wish became a reality! Here he is with his very first Small Mouth Buffalo!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallmouth_buffalo
BirthdayCollar041_zpsb9cb5004.jpg

BirthdayCollar043_zps0acbbb89.jpg

Not only did Jim get a Buff but he later connected on a beauty of a Common Carp that weighed somewhere between 4-49 lbs!!! Just for reference folks, Maximus Relaximus weighs 18 lbs!

BirthdayCollar038_zpsf23a4b9e.jpg

BirthdayCollar050_zps9561b29a.jpg

BirthdayCollar052_zps01bb8a64.jpg

Not only that but this fish’s lips alone would have weighed 2-3 lbs by themselves!!

BirthdayCollar051_zps9d12ae61.jpg

It was a great day and after Max got his licks, the fish was released and we were soon back on board and on our way home.

BirthdayCollar053_zps28ba6900.jpg

BirthdayCollar054_zps4cc6c343.jpg

BirthdayCollar059_zpsdeab9621.jpg

It was a special day today. We had a Birthday, A Buff and BBQ too! Folks, please believe me when we say Come see us because we’d love to have you drift our way!

Until next time,

BirthdayCollar075_zps8e5fd850.jpg

The Ol Captain

Last edited:

Etoncathunter

It was good meeting all of you today. I'm glad ya were able to get into some fish and that I was able to run into Phil and run him out to ya.

olcaptain

It was good meeting all of you today. I'm glad ya were able to get into some fish and that I was able to run into Phil and run him out to ya.

The pleasure was all ours!! Thanks so much for coming by. It was neat how things worked out!

Bream Pole

As always a great post and some beautiful pictures. I probably won't ever make it 'cause I live a fer piece from y'all, but I do think about comin to see ya.

Hyper Sniper

No doubt that this was a great trip, a lot of fun and relaxamus for all. What a fine story, with good friends, and good dogs for a great trip. NICE STORY CAPTAIN

olcaptain

Thanks to all for the reading as well as the kind words!

Worley

Trip

Cap'n I enjoyed taking the trip with ya as I read along. You are a fine outdoor writer, and just one of them fellas that leads by example...keep the lines tight my friend. Great job by the way on them fish.:cool:

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
Another wonderful reminder.....................................................................Life is Good!

Lanier Jim

Once again...awesome read OC. Carp Hound is still my hero and he sports the new collar like a champ!

LJ

weneroux

Your stories make me want to pick up a chair, grab my hotdog, and go carp fishing.

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
I always took Max for a Massey-Ferguson kind of fellow, but he looks good in the green and gold. Happy B'day, Max!