The Kentucky hoard, farmer finds coins in cornfield

SarahFair

Makes you wonder who buried it, where they got it, and why they never reclaimed it.

Redbow

Makes you wonder who buried it, where they got it, and why they never reclaimed it.
I would love to know the story behind that also.

And how hard would it be to sell the coins without the state finding out about him selling them, or even the federal government. Someone would more than likely spill the beans about the coins some way or some how. I wonder if a buyer would get into trouble if it wasn't reported?

SarahFair

I would love to know the story behind that also.

And how hard would it be to sell the coins without the state finding out about him selling them, or even the federal government. Someone would more than likely spill the beans about the coins some way or some how. I wonder if a buyer would get into trouble if it wasn't reported?
There are some very well off and serious civil war collectors out there, many right here in the state of Georgia.

If you know the right people you could very quietly sell it off, but I suspect theyd bring more value with the story behind them, how it offsets in taxes, in not sure.

Redbow

There are some very well off and serious civil war collectors out there, many right here in the state of Georgia.

If you know the right people you could very quietly sell it off, but I suspect theyd bring more value with the story behind them, how it offsets in taxes, in not sure.
Yes, but you are required to pay taxes on income and I imagine the state of Kentucky would view a big find of gold and silver coins as taxable. If you find gold in Florida the state will get their share, just look what Mel Fisher had to pay the state for finding all that Spanish Gold out in the Ocean.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There have actually been a lot of cases like this over the years. People going off to war buried their stuff, went off to war and got killed, and it's still buried there until somebody stumbles across it.

TJay

Talk about a life altering day. You wake up and go work your fields like always and then "what the heck is that???"

basshappy

BANNED
I expected a former land owner or a family to file a claim - it was their's! Etc.

I now wonder how many trespassers will be working fields with detectors in KY...

Redbow

I expected a former land owner or a family to file a claim - it was their's! Etc.

I now wonder how many trespassers will be working fields with detectors in KY...
I think I might take my detector and go lookin' in a few corn fields around here. There were Civil War Soldiers in our area and Pirates of course.

I will ask permission first.

SarahFair

Yes, but you are required to pay taxes on income and I imagine the state of Kentucky would view a big find of gold and silver coins as taxable. If you find gold in Florida the state will get their share, just look what Mel Fisher had to pay the state for finding all that Spanish Gold out in the Ocean.
My point was, you could sell it off for say $1000 per coin "quietly" (aka, not letting the government know about it) or you could have it authenticated and a story published about it, thus possibly raising the price to maybe $1500 per coin..

I was just stating I'm not sure if all the hoopla is worth the extra money because of the taxes seeing as I'm not sure of the state and federal taxes on found treasure, then getting taxed again for selling it.