The Kid and Little Brother build a 10/22...

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I amassed a bunch of aftermarket goodies, and today TK&LB assembled a "cool as crap" hot rod 10-22.

This was their project, all I did was supervise for the most part, and they did a nice job working together.

I had the donor rifle, and a 16.25" Clerke .920 barrel that shot real nice 30 years ago.

The parts list included:

Magpul Hunter Stock

Ruger BX Red Trigger Group

Tac-Bros red anodized scope rail, mag release, and charging handle from eBay.

Magpul m-lok bipod mount.

Weaver Quad Lock rings.

Crimson Trace Brushline Rimfire 3-9x40 scope.

A tan, blood red, and black spiderweb camo job.

IMG_20240315_170644743.jpg

TK sighted it in at 50 while LB was at baseball practice, and dang if the thing don't work pretty good...

IMG_20240315_173727702.jpg

This was 32 rounds at 50 yds, with CCI Standards.

IMG_20240315_173848104.jpg

I moved the scope 1/2" right and we gonna wring it out tomorrow.

*I was NOT a fan of that mag release thingie at first, but man it works like a charm!

This things gonna be a lot of fun!

Jester896

Senior Clown
Sweet! Have you ever tried different torques on the barrel screws to bring it in?

*I don't mean to suggest he doesn't have a good group either

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Sweet! Have you ever tried different torques on the barrel screws to bring it in?

*I don't mean to suggest he doesn't have a good group either
Seems like I did, many moons ago now that you mention it, but I just squonked em down good this time. They hit bottom with fingers, and that's about it. I'd say they are "thumb and finger tight" on the Allen key. I do remember not to over tighten...Droop or something??

If you have some settings/examples to try, please post em up. Might give it a go..

Last edited:

Dub

I got ya...

I always just go "snug" on action screws, too...

This stock has a shim/block thingie that's supposed to be "just right" at 20 inch pounds.

So, snug it is, just like always... :bounce:

I can appreciate that.

I am one of those ape-fisted dudes with a wake of stripped stuff in my past.

Learned the hard way to slow my roll….and even use torque wrenches on occasion.

Jars, toothpaste caps, etc…..family always complaining and making me loosen them back to normal.

Now in mid-50’s with arthritis at times and the joke is on me as I am the one faced with whatever it is that I last ape-fisted. :rofl:

Living & learning.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Excellent! I’d give that scope 2 clicks to the Right..and let it be..:)
Well that's what I did, and handed it to Little Brother for his first time shooting it, since he was at ball practice yesterday afternoon.

His first 20 shots...

IMG_20240316_103048618.jpg

This is the best group he's ever turned in! He's coming along nicely, doing the same thing every time, and it's starting to show!!

I don't mind admitting that I am starting to feel a little bit of pressure trying to keep outshooting them... :bounce:

Headshot

Another "AWESOME" for you and those young men. Great experience for them (and for you). I have mag release on a 10/22 like that one. I like it. Again, a big awesome for all of you.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
What you and those young men are doing is most impressive.

My compliments.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
that's right...get them to lay off the Dew...that will tighten a group. I kinda wish I didn't have 2 cups of Java this morning before I shot

Well, I did have a half a pot of coffee, two honey buns and a Monster Loca Moca before I shot this morning...

That's as good an excuse as any... :bounce: