The perfect turkey vest???????

SC Hunter

I have been seeing them for $30-$35 .
30-35 is about normal. I have a hard time paying that much for a little sack but if its worth a darn I may buy another one to keep on hand. We will see they seem to be decent little bags.

wvdawg

Staff member
Been using a little carry bag for years. 6x10 main compartment for shells, calls, strikers and a drink. Two end pockets - mask and gloves in one - small snacks in other. Two front pockets - one for snips, flashlight and other for parachord turkey totes and knife. Clip the therma-cell on the shoulder strap and have everything I need plus my turkey lounger. No weight on my shoulders during set-up, light weight, easy carry. Quieter than the larger sack and keeps stuff better separated.

Jack Flynn

They don't make one anymore but they used too. Little Big Horn vest, no longer made. Sit anywhere vest with the frame built in. Perfect amount of storage pockets and they were all big enough to fit what they were designed for. They sat better than anything in your house. So comfortable you could sit for hours and not even adjust or move. Nothing even close nowadays.

Attachments

• 20170408_083213.jpg
    20170408_083213.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

GADAWGS

I like some of the features on my Knight Products Hands-free, but,,,,,, I want a vest with a pocket that securely and quietly holds 5 strikers. I don't carry a box call, so no need for that pouch on my vest. I would also want a spot to hold a Thermacell. Instead of one magnet for the seat, maybe one on each corner would be betyer.

bmoss

Any tips for a smaller run a gun set up that still has a cushion. I have a vest now been using one for years just tired of it to hot and bulky

SC Hunter

Any tips for a smaller run a gun set up that still has a cushion. I have a vest now been using one for years just tired of it to hot and bulky
I've got a buddy that carries a little waist pack and also has a thin cushion type seat that he has a strap run through that he carries over his shoulder. He will throw that cushion down when its time to sit and pick it back up and away he goes when he's moving. I got sick of being hot and carrying what seemed like 20 pounds of stuff that I didn't need as well. I put my stuff in the tom teasers bag the other day and it seems like its going to be a good little bag to have. We will see I guess.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Take a look at the Run n Gun 300. Knight and Hale. Or Alps Long Spur Deluxe

Gadget

Funny this old thread was bumped.

See that I was using the Mossyoak elite vests when I posted in here back in 2004. That was before the limited edition Bob Dixon vest came out. I'm still using my Bob Dixon today but still have the same Mossyoak elites that I had then.

I still occasionally see the Dixon vests on ebay for 500-1,000.00.

Huntinfool

Funny this old thread was bumped.

See that I was using the Mossyoak elite vests when I posted in here back in 2004. That was before the limited edition Bob Dixon vest came out. I'm still using my Bob Dixon today but still have the same Mossyoak elites that I had then.

I still occasionally see the Dixon vests on ebay for 500-1,000.00.

Same here. I have been and likely will always be of the opinion that the Dixon vest is the single best turkey vest ever made. It's not perfect. But it's miles better than any vest I've ever seen or used.

Yes, it's heavier than some. But it is also indestructible. I had two...and I kick myself often for selling one. The one I have will last long enough for my son to use it for many years after I hand it to him and that's the mark of a great vest IMO.

I wish they would make it again. I'm not concerned about the value of my vest. I'll never sell it.

Gadget. Good to see you man. I'm not on here much anymore. But I used to look forward to your Florida swamp adventure updates every early March.

Last edited:

s harv

I like some of the features on my Knight Products Hands-free, but,,,,,, I want a vest with a pocket that securely and quietly holds 5 strikers. I don't carry a box call, so no need for that pouch on my vest. I would also want a spot to hold a Thermacell. Instead of one magnet for the seat, maybe one on each corner would be betyer.
That box call pouch holds a Thermacell nicely.

Gadget

Same here. I have been and likely will always be of the opinion that the Dixon vest is the single best turkey vest ever made. It's not perfect. But it's miles better than any vest I've ever seen or used.

Yes, it's heavier than some. But it is also indestructible. I had two...and I kick myself often for selling one. The one I have will last long enough for my son to use it for many years after I hand it to him and that's the mark of a great vest IMO.

I wish they would make it again. I'm not concerned about the value of my vest. I'll never sell it.

Gadget. Good to see you man. I'm not on here much anymore. But I used to look forward to your Florida swamp adventure updates every early March.

Hey man. Nice to see you. I'm not on much either, mostly just get on to read a little.

Last edited:

Gaswamp

wow thats a shame...good to see you gadget and hfool

Huntinfool

good ol' days....good times.

I'm getting too old for that kind of commitment. But I'm excited to take my boy on a youth quota hunt in about a month. Funny how priorities change!

Gadget

good ol' days....good times.

I'm getting too old for that kind of commitment. But I'm excited to take my boy on a youth quota hunt in about a month. Funny how priorities change!

Yep the days of me walking 10-20 miles a day on public land chasing turkey are done. Don't have the motivation plus the health problems and injuries won't allow it anyway......but my new electric hunting bike will be arriving next week and will be using that on public and private land. Having an ebike to get way back behind closed gates will help alot.

CroMagnum

Yep the days of me walking 10-20 miles a day on public land chasing turkey are done. Don't have the motivation plus the health problems and injuries won't allow it anyway......but my new electric hunting bike will be arriving next week and will be using that on public and private land. Having an ebike to get way back behind closed gates will help alot.
I'm considering an ebike so I'd like to know your opinion once you get a couple hunts under your belt.

Dupree

Here’s someone a chance to get one. At least I know if I’m ever broke I can pay some bills with my turkey vest. D9DC5D0A-8758-4FA9-9282-E52E3DC29CE8.png

Gaswamp

never understood if they are so poplar why mossy oak don't make them again