The stones….save em? I Found a strange one!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
So I’m a huge fan of Fred Eichler(everything Eichler guy)…. I think that’s his name. Anywho he showed us (on TV)how to get the stones out of a Turkey gizzard. A lot of folks save them as trophies. Seeing them in a glass tube like display was really neatIMHO. Maybe we can have stone count contest in the Turkey challenge too!
IF you save them, show em off! I’d love to see them! I most certainly plan to save mine when I get a bird!

specialk

i open and clean the gizzard to eat.....also cut open the craw to see what his last meal was.....never found anything odd enough to keep.....

sportsman94

I’ve saved most all of mine for the last several years. Think I forgot on my two from last season though. I think it’s coole to look at the different rocks depending on where you kill them. I’ve got done from southeast ga, middle ga, and northwest ga. If you can get a narrow enough jar to see the layers all the better

Dupree

Started keeping them in 2018. Here’s all of them (minus an Illinois bird, I left the gizzard sitting on a trailer and went to the store. When I got back 30 minutes later something had carried it off). My osceola had a piece of sea shell in it. I have the bottles labeled by name since my son has been saving his also 0CED6EF2-AA5C-4ADE-B456-4D7AB923CA8D.jpeg09A85D59-0F18-4BF3-A0FF-CF2DFF140A93.jpeg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I KNEW Y’all would be all over this! YASS @Dupree ! That line with the shell has contrast all the at around. Was that a BIG Bird? The stones in general seem larger than the rest. That’s really neat…..juniors got some catching up to do!

I’ve saved most all of mine for the last several years. Think I forgot on my two from last season though. I think it’s coole to look at the different rocks depending on where you kill them. I’ve got done from southeast ga, middle ga, and northwest ga. If you can get a narrow enough jar to see the layers all the better
Mind sharing? At some point in my life, I’d like to get one of each Turkey subspecies or whatever you call it. Yeah, it’s my favorite hunting season.

The proper term is gastroliths for the stones. Its how they digest hard mast. Native American beads have been found along with other strange items.
Finding beads would not be surprising really. But that would be amazing nonetheless! I wonder how often they have to replenish.
Try to keep the stones from all of them. Been doing it for 5 years or so

Mind sharing?

Dupree

@bfriendly, the osceola was a heavy bird for an osceola, but half that stones in those jars came from heavier turkeys.

Gut_Pile

I originally started by just putting them in a mason jar, but then started keeping stones in the 101 bottle I cheers each bird with after a kill that way the stones of the bird are separate. Each birds stones are so unique I didn't like mixing them up.

stones 1.jpg
stones 2.jpg

stones 3.jpg

Latest posts