The word "Judgement" in the Bible and it's meaning

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
There's been a lot of talk about judgement in the Bible lately and I thought this might help everyone to understand all the different meanings of the world "Judgement" in the Bible. I found this article online that explores the Greek roots and how they're used in the Bible.

The English language lets us down in a sense in that there's many meanings of the word that were meant to be relayed to us but were summed up in using only one English word, "Judgement".

If you find something online that can be added to this thread about judgement in the Bible and the true meaning of the word, please add to it. I'd especially like some of the Hebrew meanings of the word if anyone can find them.

I intend this thread to be used as a study that can be added to and not a debate of judgement so please keep it that way.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
A few Hebrew references for you.

The word "judge" - KRINOS means "to separate, to make a distinction between, to exercise judgement upon, to estimate, to assume a censorial power over, to call to account, to judge judiciously, to bring to trial, to be brought to account, to administer government over"

In Micah 6:8 the Hebrew word for just is mishpat. Mishpat = Justice = Equality Tim Keller says “mishpat's most basic meaning is to treat people equitably. It means acquitting or punishing every person on the merits of the case, regardless of race or social status.

What is the difference between Mishpat and tzedakah?

Some scholars speak of a twofold justice: tzedakah as primary justice -- fairness, generosity, charity and equity; and mishpat as rectifying justice -- punishment or regulation upon those who fail in tzedakah.

stringmusic

I appreciate this thread.

The judgment distinction needs to be made. If we see a person murder another person, we say “that is wrong” which is making a “judgement” or maybe more appropriate a condemnation. Everybody does these kinds of things everyday, even secular society.

That is a totally different kind of judgement than what God uses to let people dwell with Him in heaven. The kind of judgement God uses can only be used by Him.

gordon 2

John 3:19 is about as good a definition of judgement in the Christian world and context as you'll get. Others surely pale for they are not from the new life, but from before.

Madman

Justice is to set things right, judgement is the divine sentence. We see examples of divine judgement. Daniel 5:27

Tekel: you have been “weighed” or judged and found to not meet the standard as king, therefore, as a judgement, your kingdom will be divided “parsin ”.

Madman

I see a problem, when men like me attempt to define a 2000+ year old theological question. When I judge, I judge subjectively, Why not look to the one into whose hands the Holy Scriptures were given for safe keeping, the Church? The Church judges through the infinite knowledge of Holy Scripture, tradition, and inspired reason.

I yield to the church.

gordon 2

I appreciate this thread.

The judgment distinction needs to be made. If we see a person murder another person, we say “that is wrong” which is making a “judgement” or maybe more appropriate a condemnation. Everybody does these kinds of things everyday, even secular society.

That is a totally different kind of judgement than what God uses to let people dwell with Him in heaven. The kind of judgement God uses can only be used by Him.
The judgement that God makes must be available to us as Christians or Christianity is fake. It seems to me that judgement both from God and from human beings in the Christian context must by definition come from the divine heart as opposed to the letter in other contexts. This divine heart is not only possessed by God but also by human beings.

Since by definition Christians understand that they are born again with a new heart in their spiritual paradigm, and not only a new heart but by God's own heart in themselves ( Christ in you) then it goes that judgement is God's and is also available to the Christian and possibly many others. The world might have any number of meanings for what constitutes judgement, and a Christian must recognized these, but in the heavenly context their is one simple source of the meaning to judgement which is determined by its source.

Therefore the insight of how divine judgement proceeds must be available to the Christian if the Christian is to proceed in the Great Commission for example. It is the instrument that separates the worldly from the heavenly. God loves the Church and God loves the World. God has judged one different from the other--yet he loves both. It must be obvious to the Christian how these things can be if our lives are to do more than singing " blind I now see"--- but actually see and understand and judge where once we were unable to do so.

Scripture indicates that Judgement ( divine judgement) does proceed with analysis of the way people use words because the way people use words indicates what kind of hearts they have and this is the way God will know those who are His own. In other words they will speak effortlessly with God's heart because God's heart is their own. ( Christ who knew no sin in you.)

"A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of. Luke 6:45

"You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of." Matt. 12:34

"A good person produces good things from the treasury of a good heart, and an evil person produces evil things from the treasury of an evil heart." Luke 6:45

And I will give them one heart, and a new spirit I will put within them. I will remove the heart of stone from their flesh and give them a heart of flesh, (Ezekial)

(In other words judgement in the context here is not from from a written law or written commandment (s) nor is it from convention or philosophies--say social convention and history, it proceeds from the heart independent of a written code and all social and historical convention. If judgement is to be independent of history and social constructs then it must be from a source outside of it.)

I will give them a heart to know Me, that I am the LORD. They will be My people, and I will be their God, for they will return to Me with all their heart.

(We are able to know the Lord.)

It is clear that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts. Matt.

For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.” Matt.

"And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh:"

God's judgement does not proceed from the law, it proceeds from the heart and the heart of Christ which is not written anywhere with safety other than in the human heart. So it is safe to say that those who know God as Christ know themselves to have been judged already and they in turn know what judgment is. They-we proceed to make judgement for the words we all use and how we use them. ("My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.")

And so personally this is what I like about the sacramental Church: There is very little interference between the pilgrim heart and the heart of Christ. Despite all the homilies, the lessons and the sermons, the doctrines and the encyclicals they all pale with what we write on God's heart and what he writes on ours. We are sheltered from the vex and sometimes hex of convention, the historical, the new and old, and society in general in our shared heart to heart judgements provided we source our judgement at its source.

Last edited: