Thermal scopes

Tight Lines

Waddams..there is a long list of unhappy ATN customers out there. Quality Control +Customer service…is very,very…sketchy. I would spend more money,on another brand Thermal if it were me..;)
I was just going to say the same thing...I'm no expert for sure, but in all the guys I've talked with they've said avoid ATN...

bighonkinjeep

I've been thinking of getting an ATN Thor LT (I think that's the model) Thermal. There's a shop for them at a mall near me, I've looked through them a few times and the model I looked through, you could make out individuals faces 100 yds down the big mall hallway in front of the store, 200 yds you could still clearly see and differentiate body features on people (arms/legs/head/body/etc.) enough that I felt I'd be able to have good shot placement with it. The longest shot I've ever had was 180 yds, and that was once. The rest have all been 75-80 yds or closer.

I also hunt thick pines that are about 8-9 years since planting. It's super thick. IR would just look like one big white blob because there's so much growth. Thermal, day or night, might help me pick up deer moving through easier since they blend perfectly in. Otherwise, you have to setup on a trail intersection watching were you can see just a bit down a few trails to have any warning at all they are coming because you just can't see them, and it's all pine needles on the ground and super quiet to walk on. And in those pines, just seeing enough with thermal up to 50 yds would be all I need. It's just too thick to otherwise even see thermal longer than that. There's trails, deer poop, and rubs everywhere though, the trail cams show pretty high traffic flow through a few intersections. I think the thermal in just the right spot elevated a little (getting 15' or more up would be impossible, too much growth to see through, but there are spots where 6 or 7 ft up is just right to see over stuff and overlook trail intersections enough to see movement) would be a major bonus.ounds like youd be best served with a thermal monocular "spotter". Scan with that and once you know its there then use a rifle with a standard day optic. Also useful for game recovery.
Sounds to me like youd be better served with a thermal monocular for the uses you describe. Much less expensive than a rifle optic too..
Same reasons apply that most scan with binoculars and shoot with a scope. Also handy for game.recovery.
As others stated ATN has a very hit or miss reputation

sghoghunter

I've been thinking of getting an ATN Thor LT (I think that's the model) Thermal. There's a shop for them at a mall near me, I've looked through them a few times and the model I looked through, you could make out individuals faces 100 yds down the big mall hallway in front of the store, 200 yds you could still clearly see and differentiate body features on people (arms/legs/head/body/etc.) enough that I felt I'd be able to have good shot placement with it. The longest shot I've ever had was 180 yds, and that was once. The rest have all been 75-80 yds or closer.

I also hunt thick pines that are about 8-9 years since planting. It's super thick. IR would just look like one big white blob because there's so much growth. Thermal, day or night, might help me pick up deer moving through easier since they blend perfectly in. Otherwise, you have to setup on a trail intersection watching were you can see just a bit down a few trails to have any warning at all they are coming because you just can't see them, and it's all pine needles on the ground and super quiet to walk on. And in those pines, just seeing enough with thermal up to 50 yds would be all I need. It's just too thick to otherwise even see thermal longer than that. There's trails, deer poop, and rubs everywhere though, the trail cams show pretty high traffic flow through a few intersections. I think the thermal in just the right spot elevated a little (getting 15' or more up would be impossible, too much growth to see through, but there are spots where 6 or 7 ft up is just right to see over stuff and overlook trail intersections enough to see movement) would be a major bonus.

If your looking through a thermal scope or binocular for the first time in a mall or any other inside space do not make a decision because that that’s nothing compared to what it’s going to look like outside or at night. Also it’s best to talk to someone that has used,reviewed and sells many different brands before you decide on a certain brand. Customer support is everything. For example last night I changed the batteries in my Hogster and when I turned it back on the crosshairs were missing. I sent an email to the company I bought mine from last night at 10:30 and got a reply in 15 minutes with a quick fix. Also just because you can use a thermal in daylight don’t mean it would be good to deer hunt with,tried that before and it only took one time

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Question for the group? Anyone used AGM before?
Search the literal dozens of threads on thermals here and you will find that most all that have or have used AGM products are quite happy with them

bighonkinjeep

AGM Rattler 35 640. I like it plus 5 years warranty
Well would ya look at that. Just proof that advancements and competition are great for consumers. Wasn't long ago ( when I was researching for a purchase less than a year ago) AGM and Pulsar warranty was 3 years, Bering Optics was 4 years and Infiray was 5 years. Now with several companies announcing the release of 1280s that are still quite pricy the 640s are coming way down in price and everyone seems to be warranting their products longer than ever.

chase870

Possum Sox
Waddams..there is a long list of unhappy ATN customers out there. Quality Control +Customer service…is very,very…sketchy. I would spend more money,on another brand Thermal if it were me..;)
This right here. Do not be afraid to spend good money on quality thermal. If you try and take the cheap way out and use it much or hunt with others who have quality thermal you will find yourself trading up