Throw and Mow plots update

GeorgeShu

Update on two of my throw and grow plots. First pic is from a plot that had Alyce Clover that was about 2 - 3 feet tall that created a lot of cover material after mowing. Got pretty good germination from the wheat and rye but not as good with the smaller seeds like radish, greens and clovers. Hopefully they will come along later.
Second pic is from a plot that had matured Buckwheat and the material from the mowing was much less allowing much more open soil. Here I got excellent germination from all the seeds in the mix. Also got a lot of volunteer Buckwheat emerging and actually blooming now.
Deer use both plots daily so I can't complain about not meeting the objective.
Overall I am very happy with the results. Will post again later in the winter.

Attachments

• T&M1.jpg
    T&M1.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 138
  • T&M2.jpg
    T&M2.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 138

davidhelmly

Update on two of my throw and grow plots. First pic is from a plot that had Alyce Clover that was about 2 - 3 feet tall that created a lot of cover material after mowing. Got pretty good germination from the wheat and rye but not as good with the smaller seeds like radish, greens and clovers. Hopefully they will come along later.
Second pic is from a plot that had matured Buckwheat and the material from the mowing was much less allowing much more open soil. Here I got excellent germination from all the seeds in the mix. Also got a lot of volunteer Buckwheat emerging and actually blooming now.
Deer use but plots daily so I can't complain about not meeting the objective.
Overall I am very happy with the results. Will post again later in the winter.
They both look good George but that buckwheat plot looks really good!!

Triple C

Thx for posting George. I overseeded clover plots a month ago without disturbing soil. Anxious to see what kind of germination I get.

FOLES55

purty right there

GeorgeShu

DBender, yes fertilized the day after I seeded and mowed.

Triple C, keep us posted on your germination. I did not get the rain I hoped for right after I seeded and that may have slowed my germination somewhat. But heavy amount of organic matter may also be the culprit too. Time will tell I expect.

GeorgeShu

Hello CNC, great to see you are still around. Do you have any suggestions concerning no till/throw and mow methods?
I sure wish I could go back and reread your old posts at that site that closed.