To grow big deer

marshallknight

I agree a buck needs age and nutrition to get big, but another factor that no one has mentioned is actually killing these big bucks. Whether it's Iowa with giant fields and small woodlots or ATL with shopping malls and small woodlots - those deer are going to be easier to hunt than most anywhere else in GA. The older/bigger a deer gets the smarter he gets and in most of GA he can choose a thousand different routes from food to cover. Unlike the midwest or ATL where he has a ton of funnels that helps the hunter to determine the route he's going to take.

Gator89

You need GREAT neighbors to truly grow big deer, no matter how large or small the tract.

I passed a pretty 10-12 inch 8 point twice last Friday. My buddy and his grand daughter let him pass on Saturday and Sunday. We believe our neighbors killed him Sunday morning. Little feller had nice tine length, globe shapes rack and the potential to be something.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I passed a pretty 10-12 inch 8 point twice last Friday. My buddy and his grand daughter let him pass on Saturday and Sunday. We believe our neighbors killed him Sunday morning. Little feller had nice tine length, globe shapes rack and the potential to be something.
So, your neighbors are trash for shooting a perfectly legal deer on their own property that made them happy? It ain't your deer, dude. I don't understand this whole jealousy and anger over a durn deer thing. Maybe they thought he had the potential to be exactly what they were looking for. Might have been a kid's first deer. Sorry they robbed you of your living room decoration.

Gator89

So, your neighbors are trash for shooting a perfectly legal deer on their own property that made them happy? It ain't your deer, dude. I don't understand this whole jealousy and anger over a durn deer thing. Maybe they thought he had the potential to be exactly what they were looking for. Might have been a kid's first deer. Sorry they robbed you of your living room decoration.

Trash is your word, not mine.

Once a deer crosses a property line it is up to the folks that hunt the property to pass or shoot, not me.

I have not lost a minute of sleep over a deer somebody else killed.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Deer do not need a big area, they need to be left alone and have plenty food / water to grow big. Look at some of these huge deer living in these industrial parks and subdivisions.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Trash is your word, not mine.

Once a deer crosses a property line it is up to the folks that hunt the property to pass or shoot, not me.

I have not lost a minute of sleep over a deer somebody else killed.
That is also my thoughts on the matter. If I don't shoot a legal deer, but someone else does, I have no right to complain about them doing so, IMO. My rights and preferences end at their property line. Sorry if I misunderstood you, it seemed to me as though your post was complaining about a neighbor who killed a legal deer that you didn't think was big enough to shoot, and wanted to grow bigger.

Gator89

That is also my thoughts on the matter. If I don't shoot a legal deer, but someone else does, I have no right to complain about them doing so, IMO. My rights and preferences end at their property line. Sorry if I misunderstood you, it seemed to me as though your post was complaining about a neighbor who killed a legal deer that you didn't think was big enough to shoot, and wanted to grow bigger.

I have killed 4 bucks in 3 seasons counting 2022, none meet the definition of "big deer" per the folks in this thread.

But I have let dozens of small bucks walk.

All my bucks met the GA minimum width requirement for counties with width requirements, but Calhoun County does not require that.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have killed 4 bucks in 3 seasons counting 2022, none meet the definition of "big deer" per the folks in this thread.

All three bucks met the GA minimum width requirement for counties with width requirements.
:cheers: I have let a lot of deer walk over the years too. I just don't see complaining if somebody else kills one of them. A lot of folks do.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member

All my bucks met the GA minimum width requirement for counties with width requirements, but Calhoun County does not require that.

I`ve hunted "Caloon" County a time or two back in the day. Nice swamp and woods. Lot of deer and some good turkey hunting too. :)

davidhelmly

David...I'd add, "Or a great neighborhood'. Look at what's coming out of Hall County, Clarke County and the county I live in - Oconee County, as less and less hunting land is available each year resulting in much less hunting pressure. Big ol' knarly midwest bucks coming out of these counties and I'm sure many more.

You guys experienced the same on your former club. Seems reasonable to come to the conclusion that age trumps all.
You’re right TC, age is the key for big bucks. Neighbors with the same goals in mind or neighbors that don’t hunt are what it takes, either of those are great neighbors to me.

buckpasser

We need a trophy deer hunting subforum. I’m always ignored on this, so I’m sure I will be again, but we still need one.

buckpasser

We have a “deer hunting with dogs” and “handgun hunting” for crying out loud! Trophy hunting please!

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I want it to look like the outdoor channel.
I’m happy with our set up.
What I see as a problem in my area is poaching. Ain’t enough DNR officers and technology being used. You could go to another system here and the poaching would continue.

If u want to shoot only one buck. Do that. If u want archery all season do that.
I’m going for a few minutes this morning. Maybe I’ll see a 4pt or better. I can kill 2 bucks. One of any size and the other must have 4 PT’s on one side. 1” or longer. So there is some management to that. If that alone was followed in my area. Results would show up quick.

Y’all hunt safe. I’m throwing my grandson in a stand in a minute.

Gator89

I lived under the "midwest" hunting rules for five years in WI.

Used my vacation to travel to LA to hunt and saltwater fish.

If the grass appears greener on the other side of the fence and the fence can't be moved, move yourself to the other side of the fence.

My wife & I did it. I can rifle hunt 4 months per year and saltwater fish the other 8

BDD

Deer just need to be able to grow old. Just think how it could be if we had a 2 week rifle season or a 1 buck limit
I grew up hunting PA, when deer season was 2 weeks, one deer limit and you had to be drawn for a doe tag. Hunting land was limitless. Hardly ever saw a really big buck killed. Lots of 200 # bucks bot small racks.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I am happy that I live and hunt in Georgia where within the law we each can do pretty much what we want to. If you want to hunt giants, you can. If you want to hunt spikes, you can. If you want to shoot does, you can. You can use nearly any weapon you own. Deer can be killed from 10 yards to above 500 if your hold and weapon is that good.

The opportunities here are many, the deer population overall is good and the hunting conditions are usually reasonably comfortable. I am happy.