Toccoa River fishing restrictions.

Fisherman70

For the matter of disclosure and fairness, I would like to inform the public about an effort to impose regulations or restrictions on the Toccoa Tailwater that will directly affect those who catch and keep trout.

The newly formed TRWC (Toccoa River Watershed Coalition) has proposed to the Department of Natural Resources a plan to instill special regulations or restrictions on the Toccoa River below the Lake Blue Ridge Dam that include but are not limited to the following;

Slot limit from the HWY 515 Bridge to the upper boundary of Horseshoe Bend Park.
The slot limit will restrict the harvest of any trout species that fall between 12” and 24”.

Only artificial lures can be used or possessed Between the HWY 515 Bridge to the upper boundary of Horseshoe Bend Park.
This one is self explanatory. For those of you who like to fish with live bait, power bait, corn etc. You will no longer be able to fish the Toccoa River except for at Tammen Park and Horseshoe Bend Park.

Artificial lures will be limited to a single hook and cannot have a hook larger than a #6 hook.
For lures that normally have one or two treble hooks on them, to be legal you will have to either snip two of the barbs off or replace them with a single barb hook.

Legal limit will be reduced to 5 total fish per person per day. 4 of those fish can be under 12” and only one fish can be over 24”.
The current legal limit of 8 fish of any size will no longer be in effect except at Tammen Park and Horseshoe Bend Park.

No longer will anyone be able to fish with live or natural bait or harvest outside of the proposed slot limit at Curtis Switch. The proposal does not explicitly exclude the Curtis Switch Rd Bridge or TVA Park just downstream from the bridge.

Whether you agree or disagree on the matter, the GON community as a whole is a “catch and keep” crowd. Considering that the average length of trout that comes out of the hatcheries is 9”, this proposal will seriously affect those who fish for trout with the intent of catching the current legal limit.

The GA DNR would like to hear comments from all those use the Toccoa River. Listed below are those at the state level who have influence on the matter.

Thanks
An Equal Opportunity Fisherman who believes ALL user groups should have a say.

*Georgia Department of Natural Resources
Mark Williams, Commissioner
Commissioner’s Office
2 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive, S.E., Suite 1252
East Tower
Atlanta, GA 30334
404-656-3500
Email: dnrboard@dnr.state.ga.us

Fannin County Contacts:

*Fannin County Chamber of Commerce
Jan Hackett, President
152 Orvin Lance Drive
Blue Ridge, GA 30513
1-800-899-6867
Email: jahackett@tds.net

*Fannin County Board of Commissioners
Bill Simonds, Chairman
400 W. Main Street
Suite 100
Blue Ridge, GA 30513
706-632-2203
Email: Bsim@fannincountyga.org

State Legislative:

*Representative David Ralston
Post Office Box 188
Blue Ridge, GA 30513
706-632-6193
Email: Dralston1@etcmail.com

*Senator Steve Gooch
Post Office Box 600
Dahlonega, GA 30633
404-656-9221
Email: steve.gooch@senate.ga.gov

Congressional:

Senator Saxby Chambliss
585 South Main Street
Post Office Box 3217
Moultrie, GA 31776
229-985-2112
Email: http://chambliss.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/email

Senator Johnny Isakson
One Overton Park
3625 Cumberland Boulevard
Suite 970
Atlanta, GA 30339
770-661-0999
Email: http://isakson.senate.gov/contact.cfm

Representative Tom Graves
311 Green Street Northwest
Suite 302
Gainesville, GA 30503
770-535-2592
Email: http://tomgraves.house.gov/Contact/

*Governor Nathan Deal
The Office of the Governor, State of Georgia
203 State Capitol
Atlanta, GA 30334
404-656-1776
Email: http://www.georgia.gov/00/gov/contact_us/0,2657,165937316_166563415,00.html

River Rambler

All for it!!!

Restrictions like these are what has made other waters like the Watauga and the South Holston legendary. I've personally experience the benefits of these rivers and the effects of adopting some common sense management principles. My wife's first fly fishing experience had her landing double digit trout on the dry fly. Trout simply THRIVE when allowed.

Tailwaters have the potential for unbelievable trophy fisheries, but here in GA we've yet to apply any reasonable restrictions to any of ours. It's proven to produce a much healthier, robust trout population, not to mention we have plenty of places to go and catch snits.

I'm all for it. I predict a management program like this would make the Toccoa a top 10 Blue Ribbon US trout fishery in within a decade.

WinMag.300

I totally agree. Kudos to them to stepping up. For those of you who do not know why this is being implemented, the Federal Hatchery will no longer provide fish for the Toccoa and the State hatchery is already stretched extremely thin. This is an effort to maximize the fish count and experience on a distorted and exploited piece of water. Imagine in three years when you can "expect" to harvest one trophy trout! 9 inch fish, hatchery stocked fish will still be allowed to be kept, which is great for those who want that experience, but the regulation will allow those wanting a more quality experience to have that as well.

Randy

Speaking from a bass fishermans perspective, I understand the reasons for some of these rules but that is the main reason I do not fish for trout. Too many rules and regualtions and they change from stream to stream.

trouthound

Restrictions like these are what has made other waters like the Watauga and the South Holston legendary. I've personally experience the benefits of these rivers and the effects of adopting some common sense management principles. My wife's first fly fishing experience had her landing double digit trout on the dry fly. Trout simply THRIVE when allowed.

Tailwaters have the potential for unbelievable trophy fisheries, but here in GA we've yet to apply any reasonable restrictions to any of ours. It's proven to produce a much healthier, robust trout population, not to mention we have plenty of places to go and catch snits.

I'm all for it. I predict a management program like this would make the Toccoa a top 10 Blue Ribbon US trout fishery in within a decade.

I agree. A few years ago, you could hardly find a "redfish" on the coast. Now with slot limits and creel limits they are abundant. I am for reasonable restrictions to grow Trophy fish.

kirby999

Speaking from a bass fishermans perspective, I understand the reasons for some of these rules but that is the main reason I do not fish for trout. Too many rules and regualtions and they change from stream to stream.

I'm with Randy on this one. Although I enjoy a trout fishing trip occasionally ; I really don't see the big deal with trout . I have just as much fun chasing redbrest, shellcrackers , bluegills , and a few bass , usually caught by accident . What's needed is man power to enforce the regs . Taking a few home for a family meal is one thing , stocking your freezer is another . kirby

Silver Bullet

I like trophy regs for streams. Bring 'em on! Guys have plenty of marginal water to kill fish on.

fishndoc

Besides (hopefully) turning this section into a Blue Ribbon trophy stream, it will likely also help mitigate one of the big threats to fishing and floating the Toccoa tailwater: irrate landowners restricting, or even stopping, passage.

I know I will offend some bait fishermen, but most of the trash I see along river banks is worm tubs, corn cans, power bait, etc. The guys willing to go to the trouble to follow the rules and fish trophy rivers are not nearly as likely to trash it.
I bet the river front landowners will be very much in favor of this proposal.

And, for anyone who says special regs don't work, take a trip up to Brevard and compare the C&R section of the Davidson vs the stocked catch & keep section downstream.

Plus, still LOTS of streams available nearby for keeping a mess of stockers - not far to Rock Creek, Coopers, etc.

2bbshot

Im all for it!! There are plenty of nearby streams to catch some trout to keep. The toccoa tail water has the potential to be a world class trout water. I havent kept a trout to eat in 6+years just not my deal. There are much better eating fish in my opinion.

And on the guiding comment. I am close friends with a unicoi guide who does float trips on the toccoa and I can assure you regardless of the regulations on the toccoa there wont be any trout kept on a unicoi guide trip.

MadDawg51

IMO, there are very few trophy trout streams that are open to the public. Most of the true trophy water is closely controlled. If we can have a public trophy stream by making us take pictures and memories instead of wall hangings, I am all for it. The big bows and browns can hide pretty well when there are only a couple per river mile. Let 'em grow up and have to compete for food. My EHC's may start looking pretty tempting.:D

puddlehunter

Thanks fisherman 70 for letting us know of the proposal and running down all the contacts..I will for sure send an email to all the contacts you listed letting them know how great an idea it is to finally put the restrictions on the Toccoa and allow it to become a first class trout fishery.

Georgia Hard Hunter

WOW...I guess this kinda bit you on the butt didn't it Fisherman70....I have already sent my support for restrictions and slot limits on the Toccoa!!!!!!!!::ke:

Here is what the River Coalition is talking about, I copied this from NGTO

For many years there has been talk of special regs on the Toccoa tailwater which might protect it as a fishery. In view of the recent demolition of the fishery and attempted recovery efforts, private citizens have taken the matter into their own hands. The DNR has taken a solid stance AGAINST any special regs and has disregarded a proposal by the newly formed Toccoa River Coalition. They still believe that the majority of the fishing public PREFER that the entire tailwater remain a put-and-take fishery.

However, public support for the idea of a slot limit has recently gained the attention of those who could make it happen.

We have, thanks in large part to the efforts of the coalition, an opportunity to push through regulations which could protect the fishery and aid in its recovery. The deciding factor which could bring about this change is public demand.

So... now is your chance. If you want a slot limit on the Toccoa, make yourself heard. IF there is perceived to be enough public support these special regs can come to be NOW. If not, then a unique opportunity will be lost.

I am copying the official proposal put forth by the Toccoa River Coalition and was (as expected) rejected in its entirety by the DNR. It still has the ability to come about if enough public support is heard.

So, read the proposal and contact the folks on this list - or forever hold your peace.

Bill O.

Georgia has designated numerous trout streams and portions of trout streams have special management programs and regulations to provide anglers a variety of trout fishing opportunities. The Toccoa River Tailwater is a resource vital to the economy of Fannin County and surrounding areas. The Toccoa River Tailwater has been managed as a year-round trout fishery without special regulations. However, recent dam construction by the TVA and budgetary determinations at the federal, state, and local levels threaten the continued viability of the fishery based on existing and future needs of local, regional, and tourist recreational anglers. Accordingly, special regulations are necessary to continue to provide anglers a variety of fishing opportunities sufficient to attract tourism and visitors to the area in numbers necessary to support or supplement the local economy.
Accordingly, the Toccoa River shall henceforth be designated a special regulation stream from the 515 highway bridge in Blue Ridge to the beginning of Horseshoe Bend Park in McCaysville. While fishing specially regulated waters with a minimum size limit, it is a violation for an angler to possess a trout which is other than the specified sizes regardless of where the fish was caught. Likewise, it is a violation to possess trout in numbers exceeding the daily limit, regardless of where the fish were caught.

The Toccoa River within the Specified Special Regulation Area Shall Henceforth Be an Artificial Lures Only Stream
In the Toccoa River from the 515 highway bridge in Blue Ridge to the upstream border of Horseshoe Bend Park in McCaysville, only artificial lures specified in the designated special regulations below may be used. It is unlawful to possess any other type of bait or lure on the Toccoa River.

Toccoa River Tailwater Special Regulation Area
The Toccoa River Tailwater is managed for a variety of trout fishing opportunities. The Toccoa River Tailwater from the 515 Bridge in Blue Ridge to the upstream border of Horseshoe Bend Park is subject to the following restrictions:
· Artificial lures with a single hook no larger than a #6 must be used. You cannot possess lures that do not meet these criteria while on the area.
· Possession of any bait or lure not legal for use on the stream is unlawful.
· Size and Creel Limits: All trout between 12" and 24" must be released unharmed. Limit 4 fish under 12" and 1 fish over 24" per day per person.
· Possession Limit: 5 trout may be possessed daily within the Special Regulation Area subject to the size limits set forth above.

CONTACTS:

*Georgia Department of Natural Resources
Mark Williams, Commissioner
Commissioner’s Office
2 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive, S.E., Suite 1252
East Tower
Atlanta, GA 30334
404-656-3500
Email: dnrboard@dnr.state.ga.us

Fannin County Contacts:

*Fannin County Chamber of Commerce
Jan Hackett, President
152 Orvin Lance Drive
Blue Ridge, GA 30513
1-800-899-6867
Email: jahackett@tds.net

*Fannin County Board of Commissioners
Bill Simonds, Chairman
400 W. Main Street
Suite 100
Blue Ridge, GA 30513
706-632-2203
Email: Bsim@fannincountyga.org

State Legislative:

*Representative David Ralston
Post Office Box 188
Blue Ridge, GA 30513
706-632-6193
Email: Dralston1@etcmail.com

*Senator Steve Gooch
Post Office Box 600
Dahlonega, GA 30633
404-656-9221
Email: steve.gooch@senate.ga.gov

Congressional:

Senator Saxby Chambliss
585 South Main Street
Post Office Box 3217
Moultrie, GA 31776
229-985-2112
Email: http://chambliss.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/email

Senator Johnny Isakson
One Overton Park
3625 Cumberland Boulevard
Suite 970
Atlanta, GA 30339
770-661-0999
Email: http://isakson.senate.gov/contact.cfm

Representative Tom Graves
311 Green Street Northwest
Suite 302
Gainesville, GA 30503
770-535-2592
Email: http://tomgraves.house.gov/Contact/

*Governor Nathan Deal
The Office of the Governor, State of Georgia
203 State Capitol
Atlanta, GA 30334
404-656-1776
Email: http://www.georgia.gov/00/gov/contact_us/0,2657,165937316_166563415,00.html

Last edited:

trout man

The land owners have no control over the river. It is a TVA river and a great opportunity for the state to have a trophy fishery. The water stays cold year round unlike any of the other rivers in ga except the hooch in atl. Probably will not happen because the state can screw
up anything good. I hope it can happen one day!

trout man

Or we can stay the same state of mind in this state and catch and kill them all. Then we can all complain about the people with private land and big fish that no one has the chance to catch and the fact that the state stocks all the fish. They think the land owners on the private land never stock any of their own fish. Amazing! Kill them all!

Georgia Hard Hunter

There better be some 10lbrs in there next spring!:banana:

Here is what I caught in May, yes its probably a land owner stocked fish but it was a blast to catch (my all time largest trout) Imagine if we had a river full of them. The Toccoa would become a destination fishery which would bring in much needed $ to the area. I understand that the bait fishermen, limit keepers, and others don't want to be told how to fish, but dang Fannin and Gilmer counties have a unbelievable amount of miles of trout streams to fish in. The Toccoa in my opinion is the only river that would really flourish and support a fishery of this type. He was 8 lbs
014.jpg

shakey gizzard

Here is what I caught in May, yes its probably a land owner stocked fish but it was a blast to catch (my all time largest trout) Imagine if we had a river full of them. The Toccoa would become a destination fishery which would bring in much needed $ to the area. I understand that the bait fishermen, limit keepers, and others don't want to be told how to fish, but dang Fannin and Gilmer counties have a unbelievable amount of miles of trout streams to fish in. The Toccoa in my opinion is the only river that would really flourish and support a fishery of this type. He was 8 lbs
View attachment 624427
Nice, Im all for it!TVA should foot the bill!;)

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
Just one more step toward landowner only fishing there. They already have signs up on part of it declaring catch and release only. I almost fell for it until I studied the signs and saw that they weren't official.