Top 5 N. Georgia flies!!!

throwdown

If you could only take 5 flies to fish for trout in N. Georgia in the usual waterway's, ie, Dukes, Toccoha, etc. What would it be?

I would probably have to take: bugger, Copper John, San Juan, Prince Nymph, and a Y2K. This is what I have done the most damage with, how about ya'll.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
If you could only take 5 flies to fish for trout in N. Georgia in the usual waterway's, ie, Dukes, Toccoha, etc. What would it be?

I would probably have to take: bugger, Copper John, San Juan, Prince Nymph, and a Y2K. This is what I have done the most damage with, how about ya'll.

I would replace the CJ with a dry,either EHC or an Adams. Got to have at least one dry. Otherwise I like your choices.

fishnpreacher

My list would have to include
Wooly Booger
Pheasant tail
Stimulator
Y2K (for dumb as a rock stockers)
Elk hair caddis

Tightliner

Mine would be:
BWO (parachure style #20, solo or dropper behind EHC)
EH Caddis(#14-16 as an attractor)
Flash back pheasent tail (#16)
Grizzly Zonker (or marabou, # 4 W/bead head)
Baetis sparkle emerger(used as a dropper )

Later................

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
Mine would be:
BWO (parachure style #20, solo or dropper behind EHC)
EH Caddis(#14-16 as an attractor)
Flash back pheasent tail (#16)
Grizzly Zonker (or marabou, # 4 W/bead head)
Baetis sparkle emerger(used as a dropper )

Later................

What ever TL's fishin since I'm gonna steal it outa his box anyway!! :cheers:

Oh and my homemade goldenretrievertroutcricket! :bounce:

Huntinfool

take out the bugger and replace it with a caddis (elk or deer hair) and you've got my 5. Good choices.

I like to drop a little 20 or 22 black midge off as a trailer sometimes as well.

whitetailfreak

If I could only carry 5 flies in North GA, East TN, and Western NC freestone creeks

Thunderhead 10-14
Yaller Palmer 12-14
Smoky Mountain Candy 10-14
Tellico Nymph 12-16
Prince Nymph 12-16

Give me about 3 more and I could fish the rest of my life in the Southern Appalachians and not skip a beat.

Last edited:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
⬆️ This. Great choices. Sitting on the bench waiting for a chance would be a Walts Worm, black stonefly nymph and a greenie weenie. @gobbleinwoods

Last edited:

Steve Hudson

Lots of great suggestions there! It's hard to narrow it to five, but here are some things to think about as you do:

1) Stimulator -- this is a great attractor that's an excellent impressionistic imitation of adult caddisflies, stoneflies, and even mayflies. On fast mountain flows, impressionistic is usually close enough!

2) Either a Pheasant Tail Nymph of a Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear Nymph -- these are as close to universal nymphs as you'll find, and in practice they'll work interchangeably as often as not.

3) 3-D Sucker Spawn (my favorite) or Y2K or pink Mop Fly (another favorite) -- as an egg imitation on stocked streams

4) A good, flashy minnow imitation such as a Rolex or Hudson Streamer or Woolly Bugger...for when minnows are on the menu. Think "fly rod equivalent of a Roostertail," and you've got the right idea!

5) And ANTS -- don't forget ants! A dubbed-body ant can be an incredibly effective trout pattern. You'd be surprised how much of a trout's diet is ants!

Remember that on fast freestone streams, the fish don't have a lot of time to inspect your offerings. So if the profile is basically right and the size is correct, and if you don't spook 'em on the approach or presentation, you'll be on your way to a great day.

Good luck!

Tight Lines

1. Tellico Nymph
  2. Bead Head Prince Nymph
  3. Zug Bug
  4. Stimulator
  5. Parachute Adams
With those, I can fish most any stream...depending on the time of year, some terrestrials like hoppers and ants would be good, and a San Juan Worm...

Maybe a couple of wooly buggers and a white clouser minnow...

I absolutely love fishing stimulators...

Tight Lines

E32DA289-B26E-481A-87BE-2D71883D03E9.jpegF041B46C-FA32-44C8-A101-FA7A8FB81A44.jpeg
Those are my 4 freshwater boxes that go everywhere from Patagonia to Labrador and Georgia to Montana. I have 2 saltwater boxes but these four are basically always with me. That’s 30 years of collecting flies and fishing who knows how many trout streams.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
View attachment 1090448View attachment 1090449
Those are my 4 freshwater boxes that go everywhere from Patagonia to Labrador and Georgia to Montana. I have 2 saltwater boxes but these four are basically always with me. That’s 30 years of collecting flies and fishing who knows how many trout streams.

One thing I've learned in traveling the country in pursuit of trout is this: It doesn't matter if it's a 7" speckled trout in the Smokies, a 16" brown trout in the Madison, a 18" cutthroat in Slough Creek, or a 20" golden trout in the Bighorns. They will all hit the same flies. Trout everywhere in the world will eat a EHC on top and a Pheasant Tail below the surface.

Tight Lines

One thing I've learned in traveling the country in pursuit of trout is this: It doesn't matter if it's a 7" speckled trout in the Smokies, a 16" brown trout in the Madison, a 18" cutthroat in Slough Creek, or a 20" golden trout in the Bighorns. They will all hit the same flies. Trout everywhere in the world will eat a EHC on top and a Pheasant Tail below the surface.

Yep I could take those 5 I listed, about 5 more, and fish most of America...when you get into Brookies in Labrador, etc. those are a whole different set of flies...I have not fished Alaska which I want to do soon...