Tradition and redemption

Burdawg

Two weeks post-op the hand was healing well. The doc had told me to keep it dry and covered to keep bacteria out of the incision. The trip had been planned since January, so I was hoping for the best. I anxiously packed all my gear and headed for camp. I was looking forward to visiting some kin folks in Avery county and cooler waters. Change happens everywhere but it seems at a slower pace up there. The river is still much the same....fitting for its pastoral setting. It’s the kind of place that is reminiscent of my youth...where you could stop on a roadside by a homestead and seek out the owner, hat in hand of course. You could meander up to the porch and in the humblest manner possible, ask for permission to cross their property. I’ve long since replaced “you ‘uns” with “y’all”, but it’s best to use “mountain” talk...when in Rome or Avery county in this case. The approach is tested and the little grey haired lady on the porch granted permission albeit with one minor stipulation. I guess her son or grandson had suggested it, but we couldn’t fish upstream behind her place...an inconvenience, but downstream access would work. It worked out well since there were numerous pools less than 100 yards from the landmark of the old home place. The creek was clear and cold, and better suited than the river for what I had in mind. I had cajoled an old friend into tying some traditional flies before leaving home. I had already stocked up on the usual black copper johns and stones, but I wanted to try something a little more “old school”. My friend had graciously delivered 10 of the size 14 flies a day before my departure. Now, I know there are several versions of it...but the old guy is always tinkering. I don’t think they can help it when they sit at the vise. When I first saw them, I couldn’t help but think of Mr. Paul Hughes. We had stopped in Linville last year and luckily, Fay Hughes’ store was open and we stocked up on some old patterns. We weren’t so lucky this year, so I was thankful to have the “Yallerhammers” in hand. They had produced some brook and browns in the river, but I was after some creek fish. After a few casts in a narrow run, I moved further downstream in search of deeper haunts...I approached from below and stopped short of the water. I surmised if fish weren’t in this hole, it was going to be tough. I tied 4’ of tippet to the furled leader, a yallerhammer and a little nymph off the bend. The second cast would find the little bow, and several more would follow. I was expecting small bows or specks but on this cast, the take was different. The upper fly was slammed, a large swirl...the drag was set too light and the fish was rapidly heading downstream toward wood and despite my despair, I calmly adjusted it tighter. I applied side pressure instantly and steered it away from the wood just in the nick of time. As I put the net under the fish, I could see the yallerhammer had struck and my redemption was found. I’ve brought many fish to hand, many that were larger...but, for some reason, this fish was special. As I released it, I realized there was no need to fish any longer. It was time to savor the surrounding beauty and pay homage to tradition. It was a perfect Sunday morning...for redemption.

creeka.jpgcreekd.jpgcreekb.jpgrainbowcopperjohn.jpgrainbowdroplet.jpgscyallerhammer.jpgcreekpool.jpgspecial.jpg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Mighty nice. I used to fish the Linville River just outside Pineola, and Mill Timber Creek above Crossnore.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Nice day on the water and great story and photos. I've seen "yallerhammer" mentioned once or twice here but had never seen the "street legal" version before depicted. When I first started fly fishing for trout back in the late 1960s I tied and fished what I later learned was illegal as it was tied from the stripped leading edge of a flight feather of a northern flicker. I tied it from what was described to me by some old timers. It had a dark olive seal fur body with a thorax of the flicker feather palmered at the thorax for about a third of the hook. Whether it was the original version or not, it caught fish. It was only later that I learned it was illegal to possess or use the feathers. Gil

Burdawg

Nice day on the water and great story and photos. I've seen "yallerhammer" mentioned once or twice here but had never seen the "street legal" version before depicted. When I first started fly fishing for trout back in the late 1960s I tied and fished what I later learned was illegal as it was tied from the stripped leading edge of a flight feather of a northern flicker. I tied it from what was described to me by some old timers. It had a dark olive seal fur body with a thorax of the flicker feather palmered at the thorax for about a third of the hook. Whether it was the original version or not, it caught fish. It was only later that I learned it was illegal to possess or use the feathers. Gil
Thanks, Gil...this is another version of the famous fly...yallerhammer2.jpg

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Thanks for posting. Great pictures and write up.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Great story, beautiful water, and fine fish! Thanks for taking us along with you as you fished!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The originals, as far as I can tell (at least the version in my neck of the woods,) were tied on a long-shank hook and had a peacock herl or black yarn body with a split yallerhammer (flicker) primary palmered up the body. Often trimmed short, sometimes left long. They were fished as a wet fly or nymph. You can make a pretty good facsimile from dyed dove or quail feathers.

1-2speck2.jpg

Reactions: GLS

Burdawg

The originals, as far as I can tell (at least the version in my neck of the woods,) were tied on a long-shank hook and had a peacock herl or black yarn body with a split yallerhammer (flicker) primary palmered up the body. Often trimmed short, sometimes left long. They were fished as a wet fly or nymph. You can make a pretty good facsimile from dyed dove or quail feathers.

View attachment 1024141
my buddy put copper wire underneath the yellow floss, and I did fish it wet...nice shot btw...

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
NCH, other than colors, your description has an overall resemblance to the old "Anytime, Anywhere" which was popular on the shoal water sections of the Chattahoochee below Morgan Falls back in the 1970s. It had a clipped, palmered body of grizzly hackle over a dark body. It's been awhile since I've used or seen one. ;) Gil.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
NCH, other than colors, your description has an overall resemblance to the old "Anytime, Anywhere" which was popular on the shoal water sections of the Chattahoochee below Morgan Falls back in the 1970s. It had a clipped, palmered body of grizzly hackle over a dark body. It's been awhile since I've used or seen one. ;) Gil.
There is another old fly here called a CK nymph that sounds just like that-black body with clipped grizzly palmered hackle.