Traditions Hawken Build Kit?

ssramage

My father-in-law cornered me at his house the other day and offered me his mostly unfinished Traditions (I think Hawken) muzzleloader kit. He got it for a gift from the family a while back and thought he'd enjoy building it. He decided that he liked the romance of it but doesn't have the patience for it. :ROFLMAO:

I've always wanted one, but really think I'm going to build this one for him and give it back. For those that have done them before, how much of a project are they and how much work did I just take on?

frankwright

Wood is usually pretty close, just a little fitting and sanding.
I rust blued my barrel and hardware.
I hunted with it for several years and then sold it and bought something else.

Darkhorse

I don't consider it too much of a project for a first timer. It's good preparation for a more difficult build. Plus it's free. How can you use?
If you don't take it he might give it to someone else. Your loss then.
Go back and get it.

ssramage

Thanks guys. I didn't assume it to be much of a project, but wasn't sure. I'm going to get it some time this weekend and start tinkering with it. Hopefully get it put together and shooting it pretty soon. My dad has one that he built in the 80s that I hunted with some as a kid. Pretty cool guns!

Mars

I did the Kentucky rifle kit and it was pretty simple but fun. I shot mine yesterday. I will say be careful not to strip any of the screws. The bolster screw on mine was really soft and stripped out first time I tried to remove it.

Darkhorse

I did the Kentucky rifle kit and it was pretty simple but fun. I shot mine yesterday. I will say be careful not to strip any of the screws. The bolster screw on mine was really soft and stripped out first time I tried to remove it.
When I am putting in screws in wood I usually do 2 things to stop splitting.
First...I drill those holes one #drill larger than the decimal size using number drills.
2nd....When I install any screw in wood I coat the screw with Johnson's paste wax.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Thanks guys. I didn't assume it to be much of a project, but wasn't sure. I'm going to get it some time this weekend and start tinkering with it. Hopefully get it put together and shooting it pretty soon. My dad has one that he built in the 80s that I hunted with some as a kid. Pretty cool guns!
I’ve got a Hawken that I built from a kit in the 80’s . I was probably 13-14 , always shot good . And is still in one piece , so it couldn’t of been very difficult . Thanks for the reminder , mine probably hasn’t been shot in over 10 years . Sounds like a good after deer season project