Trailer tag question...

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
If I sell a boat, do I let the tag go with it or retain the tag for my next boat trailer?

transfixer

I know I bought a camper a while back and it still had the tag on it, I had a bill of sale showing I bought it, the DMV said they wouldn't transfer the tag to me, they just gave me a new tag.

GT90

You keep your tag. As an aside, if the next trailer you purchase or register is a light duty trailer, look at a permanent tag. I just got one for a new 5X10 utility trailer. Think it cost me about $40 but in future years I only have to pay the Ad Valorum fee and not the standard tag fee.

K80Shooter

You keep your tag. As an aside, if the next trailer you purchase or register is a light duty trailer, look at a permanent tag. I just got one for a new 5X10 utility trailer. Think it cost me about $40 but in future years I only have to pay the Ad Valorum fee and not the standard tag fee.

I agree with the permanent tag but be for warned if your county tag office is not up to par be prepared to argue with them. In my county they think they know everything and it does not matter how much proof you show them they will not sell you one unless you're a business.